help with Ford 3000 ID

deep river

New User
Recently purchased a 71 Ford 3000 diesel. The numbers on the bell housing and the sticker under the battery cover both confirm it is a 3000 Ag, live pto, 8 speed made in the USA on 1/5/71, day shift. All of that checks out fine except it says the engine was a gas model. I am assuming at some point the gas engine was swapped out for a diesel. So I started trying to identify the engine. I was told to look on the boss above the oil pan on the right side for the serial #. I did not see a number. I did find a cast "New Holland" emblem on the left side of the block. A little further in front of that is a cast number "87 800 081".

I am guessing Ford engines back in 1971 were not made by New Holland. So what do I have?

Attachments

• NH1.jpg
    NH1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • NH2.jpg
    NH2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
You have a late model engine possibly from a 10 or 30 series tractor
Look on the mounting tabs below the injection pump, normally there’s a date code stamped into the lower tab
There should be a 4.2 or 4.4 cast into the side of the block
Also look for a tag on the valve cover, new and reman replacement engines used those

Recently purchased a 71 Ford 3000 diesel. The numbers on the bell housing and the sticker under the battery cover both confirm it is a 3000 Ag, live pto, 8 speed made in the USA on 1/5/71, day shift. All of that checks out fine except it says the engine was a gas model. I am assuming at some point the gas engine was swapped out for a diesel. So I started trying to identify the engine. I was told to look on the boss above the oil pan on the right side for the serial #. I did not see a number. I did find a cast "New Holland" emblem on the left side of the block. A little further in front of that is a cast number "87 800 081".

I am guessing Ford engines back in 1971 were not made by New Holland. So what do I have?
If you do a quick web search for 87800081 you'll get hits for a 201 (3.3 l.) 3 cyl diesel. Link below is an example that lists some tractor models.

RF Engines 87800081

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back