How to measure gas in tank?

Wooden yardstick. I carry it in the cab. Along with a roll of paper towels. Yardsticks are free if you know where to get them and the paper towels are purchased on line by the case. Genuine Joe 33600s. Way cheaper than Krogers.

I use the handle of the ball peen hammer that is in every tractor toolbox. Notches cut at 5 gallon intervals are handy. Only one of my tractors has a fuel gauge and it can't be trusted.

Good morning: I have stirring sticks from a paint store I keep on two of my tractors. A piece of "screen molding" I keep on the other tractor. None of the sticks are marked in gallons or anything. I just know what "Looks Right" for each tractor. Example: About 3 inches is enough to mow the front yard and still get back to the barn. BTW, while on the subject of gas, I have several cans that hold 5 gallons each, and two that hold 2-1/2 gallons. I normally use the small cans first, then refill them from a big can. Reason: I can pour small can into a tank that is shoulder-high for me. Also, I can pick up a full big can enough to pour half of it into a small can. Then the big can only has 2-1/2 gal remaining, and I can easily pick it up shoulder-high. Us older folks figure out simple methods for everything! BTW again: I use the same sticks to check radiator levels. About 1/4 inch over the fins is enough.
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I hear you on using smaller cans so I don't have to lift big cans up that high. I use 5 gallon plastic water bottles to transfer fuel to equipment. Don't have to fill them full. Easy to pick up and carry when they are only 1/2 full. You can clearly see the level. The opening is nice and smooth so they pour fast and smoothly. No glugging or splashing as you pour the fuel.

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet and it shows how old school I am but I use a crank and have for years. with many old tractors it is readily available. Calibrated sticks take all the fun out of it. You don't have to do it long before you get an idea of how long it's gonna run.

It's better to mark your stick (or whatever you use) in metric .... so centimeters instead of inches. That way, if you have 4 inches of gas in the tank it will show up as 10 centimeters, and last time I was in school 10 was more than 4.

Mine never had a gas gauge. I emptied the gas tank and then put a gallon in the tank and put a stick of wood in the tank and marked a line. Then a second gallon and made another line and so on. When I was done I stamped a mark in the wood with a metal stamp set and colored the mark dark. The only problem I have is the tank dips down for a reserve and it's really close to where the fill neck is so I have to insert the stick real careful.

When your gas gauge isn't working, you can measure the gas in your tank using a long stick or rod. Look for something dark in color, like the metal rod your dad had, to easily see the gas level. Make sure it has a wire or something to prevent it from falling into the tank. Gently insert the stick into the tank until it touches the bottom, then pull it out slowly. You'll see the gas level marked on the stick. This method can help you know how much gas you have until you fix the gauge or sending unit.

When your gas gauge doesn't work and you want to measure how much gas you have in your tank, What's your workaround?

What do you use to stick in your tank to see how much gas is there?

Years ago, my dad had a metal rod that was brown, with a wire on it, so you wouldn't drop it into the tank. That metal rod
worked well. You need something that's a darker color, so you can easily see the gas line/level.

I need to find something for temporary use. Next, I need to fix the guage or the sending unit.
Seeming as this is a tractor related I look in the tank with my pocket flashlight : ). On all my gas tractors I keep enough fuel in them to use for about 30 min. If I know I am going to use it more I add what I think I will need.

Just keep it full and you will not be walking for a gas can from the far end of the farm. It takes the same amount to run on the top half as the bottom with again no walking.
Sometimes a guy likes to head out for a quick job but not have to be concerned about gas.

Home Depot had paint stir sticks that had rulers on them. What I use , complementary
When I had a Model T Ford the gas gauge was a paint stick with lines to mark how many gallons were left. On that car, the tank was under the seat, needed to tip the bottom cushion forward to refuel. A real PIA. Later models had the tank mounted higher up near the cowl.

Most things with a tank that you can "stick" won't have a trip odometer.

I've gone so far as to break a stick off a tree, strip it, and use it to literally "stick" a tank.

If I am being civilized about it, I like to use something with graduations on it, like a 4' ruler. Speaking of which I need to stop at the hardware and get a couple of cheap wooden 4' "yardsticks" because I can't find mine.
Wouldn't that be a yard plus a foot stick? Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I have a nice clean smooth stick hanging on the same nail as the rag I use for checking oil. I wipe it off with the rag before sticking it in the tank.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back