How to measure gas in tank?

The trip odometer is your friend.

My Triumph motorcycle will indicate it's nearly out of gas when there's still over a gallon in the tank. By setting the trip each time I gas up, I can get an extra 30 miles out of each tank.
What model Triumph? My 2009 Bonneville SE will go about 130 miles before the low fuel light comes on, but my wife's Suzuki is only good for about 100 miles, so we always gas up together. What gas do you burn? We buy regular E-10 and then non-ethanol 91 premium the next time, alternating, and that seems to work well. We use my trip odometer, as her S40 doesn't have one.

Good morning: I have stirring sticks from a paint store I keep on two of my tractors. A piece of "screen molding" I keep on the other tractor. None of the sticks are marked in gallons or anything. I just know what "Looks Right" for each tractor. Example: About 3 inches is enough to mow the front yard and still get back to the barn. BTW, while on the subject of gas, I have several cans that hold 5 gallons each, and two that hold 2-1/2 gallons. I normally use the small cans first, then refill them from a big can. Reason: I can pour small can into a tank that is shoulder-high for me. Also, I can pick up a full big can enough to pour half of it into a small can. Then the big can only has 2-1/2 gal remaining, and I can easily pick it up shoulder-high. Us older folks figure out simple methods for everything! BTW again: I use the same sticks to check radiator levels. About 1/4 inch over the fins is enough.
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.
I do the same thing Dennis, I never try to pour from a full 5 gallon jug directly int a tractor. And every time I pour fuel it goes through a funnel with a fine screen.

When your gas gauge doesn't work and you want to measure how much gas you have in your tank, What's your workaround?

What do you use to stick in your tank to see how much gas is there?

Years ago, my dad had a metal rod that was brown, with a wire on it, so you wouldn't drop it into the tank. That metal rod
worked well. You need something that's a darker color, so you can easily see the gas line/level.

I need to find something for temporary use. Next, I need to fix the guage or the sending unit.
We’ve used the hand crank on our DC Case for 73 years.

Glenn F.

Home Depot had paint stir sticks that had rulers on them. What I use , complementary
BINGO ! I use the same thing. Marks don't show up good in picture.

P7QGck2.jpg

On a tractor ride, a buddy asked to borrow my cane to check how much diesel was in his tank. Now it has a dark section about a foot long on it. Take a long stick and put it in the tank, mark it a couple inches longer than the tank depth and cut it off so it can't fall into the tank. Carry it in the tractor tool box. It's not rocket science!

I removed the tank float during my overhaul and the brass float had a bunch of holes in it, some of them big. Took a few days of putting permatex steel epoxy on it until it was about 3/4 covered and wouldn't leak if held under water and still float. You can buy tank floats on Amazing for about 30 bux with the five bolt pattern that are the round type with a floating ring around it. I still don't know if it works since I took the gas gauge out years ago and replaced it with a voltmeter so I could read volts as well as amps. A stick in the tank works just fine.

When your gas gauge doesn't work and you want to measure how much gas you have in your tank, What's your workaround?

What do you use to stick in your tank to see how much gas is there?

Years ago, my dad had a metal rod that was brown, with a wire on it, so you wouldn't drop it into the tank. That metal rod
worked well. You need something that's a darker color, so you can easily see the gas line/level.

I need to find something for temporary use. Next, I need to fix the guage or the sending unit.
A metric stick is preferable. If you have a 15 showing in centimeters, a stick marked in inches will only show 6. And from grade school, I remember 15 being more than 6 no matter what. Just one advantage of metric measurement.

A metric stick is preferable. If you have a 15 showing in centimeters, a stick marked in inches will only show 6. And from grade school, I remember 15 being more than 6 no matter what. Just one advantage of metric measurement
A metric stick is preferable. If you have a 15 showing in centimeters, a stick marked in inches will only show 6. And from grade school, I remember 15 being more than 6 no matter what. Just one advantage of metric measurement

A metric stick is preferable. If you have a 15 showing in centimeters, a stick marked in inches will only show 6. And from grade school, I remember 15 being more than 6 no matter what. Just one advantage of metric measurement.
Another major advantage to the Metric system is in the cost of fuel. Despite the high cost of fuel in Canada, when you pull up to the pump they always show cheaper than back home here.

Another major advantage to the Metric system is in the cost of fuel. Despite the high cost of fuel in Canada, when you pull up to the pump they always show cheaper than back home here.
Yup, who wants to pay the US average of $3.60 when you can come up here and pay the Canadian average of $1.60. Can't beat the metric system for buying or measuring how full your tractor gas tank is.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back