'Inherited' not running 6610

Kipling

New User
New guy.

Bought a property with a 1990 2WD 6610 Cab Tractor that has not run in 5-10 years. The best I am told is that it is good but it needs a radiator and that the AC was cold. A quick look and I can tell the oil has been changed and the main coolant radiator is dry. There is a radiator that may not be OEM in front of the main radiator which seems to be an oil cooler and the AC Evaporator. It seems to be floating (not mounted correctly). I see no grill but it may appear.

It will make me sick seeing it non functional every day but I will be in no rush so this will be a longer project.

I guess I start by seeing what radiator leaks I have and then cleaning the fuel system. If it were a cabless tractor there would only be a main coolant radiator with an integrated oil cooler...I think.

How big a headache will the AC be? What freon?

Anyone want to point me in a direction? Give me some advice.

The 6610 is one of the best tractors Ford built. Don't think about A/C yet. get it running first. A radiator is a cheap repair to make for a free 6610. Pour some water in it and see if it is the radiator. Maybe hoses. I personally, would spend some bucks to see if it is salvageable. Strong, heavy tractors.

So 1st check the main coolant radiator/hoses. I think it is only a simple radiator on the cab tractor. Thanks Tom.

First thing I would do is see if the motor can be turned over by hand/breaker bar a couple revolutions. Then I would see what the fuel looks like in the tank and filters. If the fuel looks good, the engine and rear end have oil, I would toss a battery in and see if its a runner. Don't run it long without a functioning cooling system, but long enough to see if its worth diving further into.

Yea, that is pretty much the process I saw a Youtuber do on one of those 'will it run' videos. It seems there is a defined 'best practice' for these things. I'm ahead of him, he had to clear the brush around it and kill the bees 1st. It may be a month or so before I get started. Real tractor, hay equipment fixing houses and moving takes priority. Knowing why the owner gave up on it would be helpful and so far it just seems it was a radiator.

The Series II 6610 is a good tractor, I have a late 89 model with cab
Cab and non cab models share the same size radiator but cab with AC radiators may have more fins per inch than non cab radiators
As said above see if the engine will roll over then make sure it has fuel and see if you can get the engine to start
Radiator issues can be a leaking radiator or the engine overheating due to blocked fins. Once the engine is running fill the radiator to see if there’s a leak, if not it probably needs a good cleaning
Doing hay and brush hogging I have to wash out the radiator fins on mine at lease one a year
Trash buildup between the coolers and radiator is common
The other cooler you mentioned is the hydraulic fluid cooler

There's what she looks like... yea I know, wrong color.

Attachments

• Equip2.jpg
    Equip2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG20240428192932.jpg
    IMG20240428192932.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG20240428193551.jpg
    IMG20240428193551.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 51
The AC condenser hinges from brackets mounted at the bottom of the air cleaner mount, then there’s a bolt on each side that bolts the tabs on the condenser to the core support

Did a quick look today. I see where the two bolts go to hold the condensor. I don't see the grill laying anywhere, maybe it will show up.

Hydraulic oil on the dipstick but low.

Power steering fluid looks low.

Filled up radiator with water. I think it is leaking slowly but I spilled enough I'm not sure. Check in a few days. I suppose you need to pull the evaporator to get to the main radiator. 1st get it started.

Clutch seems to work.

I didn't see an easy way of turning the engine with a breaker bar.

Really doesn't look horrible, it has been under a roof.

Attachments

• IMG20240512173007.jpg
    IMG20240512173007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG20240512174325.jpg
    IMG20240512174325.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG20240512175144.jpg
    IMG20240512175144.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 23
I like living dangerously so I would grab the fan belts and see if I can make the crank pulley wiggle at all. If it does I would put a battery in it and hit the starter. Haha

Few year inside with the exhaust covered and all the intake intact it's probably fine.

Did a quick look today. I see where the two bolts go to hold the condensor. I don't see the grill laying anywhere, maybe it will show up.

Hydraulic oil on the dipstick but low.

Power steering fluid looks low.

Filled up radiator with water. I think it is leaking slowly but I spilled enough I'm not sure. Check in a few days. I suppose you need to pull the evaporator to get to the main radiator. 1st get it started.

Clutch seems to work.

I didn't see an easy way of turning the engine with a breaker bar.

Really doesn't look horrible, it has been under a roof.

Yours is the second 6610 I know of with 4 sets of remote couplers
IMG_1309.jpeg

Mine is the other
Getting the starter off isn’t a easy task, you’ll have to remove the fuel filter base to get to the bolt next to the block
When you take the fuel lines off the fuel will drain back to the tank and the system will have to be primed and bleed
Put a Group 65 battery in and bump the starter, it’ll either turn the engine or not

What needed 4 remotes? It started life as a DOT Tractor so it may have had a big mower? Or maybe when the taxpayer is buying.....

Based on the little I know I expect it is low risk to try the starter, but I've been warned.

My loader uses 2 remotes, disc mower uses another 2 so they are all in use if I have the loader mounted while mowing hay
To operate the wings individually on the bat wing mower takes 3 remotes
2 remotes is considered minimum but I’ve never heard a farmer that works his tractor say it had too many remotes, I’ve heard many say they wish it had at lease 1 more remote

I didn’t mount the loader but adding a control tower along with the necessary components to operate a remote valve for a cab tractor plus the valve adds a good bit to the cost

I've setup 2 loaders with the proper ccls valves and joysticks I know the cost and it's well worth it. Better productivity, less fatigue, anybody can run a joystick loader, frees up rear remotes, etc.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back