Injection pump timing adjustment out of range

AnarchyAcres

New User
My newly acquired IH 350 utility diesel is hard starting and makes a lot of white smoke. I checked the injector timing today and found it off. By loosening the base and turning the pump, I was able to improve the timing. However, there is not enough adjustment range to time it perfectly. How can I improve the timing? I'm wondering if I should remove the pump entirely and adjust the backlash on the pump drive gear. I'm following a youtuber at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuk4u1SZKM, and this person made some adjustments to the injector drive gear prior to mounting the pump and timing the injection. I'm a diesel newbie.
cvphoto147924.jpg

If you have been keeping up with nashranch's 350U experiences, it could be an indicator of either key wear, or ? internal to the cam drive. Or someone put it in incorectly. Did the adjustment you made help the smoking? Jim

Start with a compression test and eliminate that as a source of trouble. Sometimes advancing the timing on low compression diesels can make an improvement of performance.

As Jim said i have gone deep into the gearing, timing of my 350 utility Continental engine. i did pull the pump out and played around with the gear that drives the pump. You could be off one tooth but not sure. it is easy to lift the drive gear out and shift it one one way or another. I'm no expect in the matter but i did get mine running.
And make sure your preheater in the intake is working. That makes a big difference is the cold starting

This post was edited by nashranch on 02/19/2023 at 05:54 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back