Jonsered chain saw

Russ from MN

Yesterday my friend gave me a Jonsered 2149 Turbo chain saw, it hadn't been run it years, it's about 20 years old, and has seen little use. I got it running quickly with my primer, and it seems to restart and run well. Our son says he wants it, and I'm wondering what is a fair price to pay him for it? Thanks!

I have a 2152 Jonsered that I bought new. I love that saw. I bought my son a Husqvarna 450 because they stopped making the Jonsered line of saws. They are much the same. Same factory I was told. If in good shape I would give $150-200 for a saw like that.

Yesterday my friend gave me a Jonsered 2149 Turbo chain saw, it hadn't been run it years, it's about 20 years old, and has seen little use. I got it running quickly with my primer, and it seems to restart and run well. Our son says he wants it, and I'm wondering what is a fair price to pay him for it? Thanks!
If it were my Son or Son inlaw I'd give it to them.

Am I missing something? You are given a chainsaw, you fixed it, the saw is yours.

Guido.

i read that as he wants to pay the guy that gave him the saw something for it. or maybe trade something.

Good saw. Worth all of $200 but he did "give" it to you. My BIL has a 2152, and when he broke the crankshaft, I put a Husky crank assembly in it. I think from a xp279 or something. Exactly the same part and part number. Just different covers on the same saw. I'd give you $200 for it. The rebuild cost me almost $200. Let the bidding begin. :devilish: steve

What's wrong with trying to do right by the guy that gave you the saw? He didn't have to give the saw away. He probably didn't WANT to give the saw away.

Some guys just don't feel right about taking something valuable like that without giving something in return. That's an attitude that's far too rare these days. Most just get fixated on "free saw" and run cackling back to their little caves to add it to their treasure pile.

Yes, I didn't' word that very well, we plan on paying the original owner something for it!
I reckon everyone's different but I would take it as an insult if I was the original owner. If I had wanted to sell it I would have. I give stuff away fairly often that I no longer need. Key words are (I give it away)!

Every now and again I'll give something away that I'm not using. I gave him a PTO cover for a tractor he just bought. He tried to pay me for it and I wouldn't take it. Around six months later he came by and said he had a plow that matched one of my tractors and was giving it away. So that worked out for both of us.

I reckon everyone's different but I would take it as an insult if I was the original owner. If I had wanted to sell it I would have. I give stuff away fairly often that I no longer need. Key words are (I give it away)!
A non-running chainsaw is basically worthless.

If you'd be insulted by a friend saying, "I don't feel right about taking this saw. It's worth way too much money and it really wasn't all that difficult to fix. I checked around and they're worth about $200 in this condition," you're not a very good friend.

Nothing saying you can't refuse to take the money or negotiate a lesser amount or change it to a barter. Just take it as what it is, a friend offering to do right by a friend.

A non-running chainsaw is basically worthless.

If you'd be insulted by a friend saying, "I don't feel right about taking this saw. It's worth way too much money and it really wasn't all that difficult to fix. I checked around and they're worth about $200 in this condition," you're not a very good friend.

Nothing saying you can't refuse to take the money or negotiate a lesser amount or change it to a barter. Just take it as what it is, a friend offering to do right by a friend.
The deal was finalized when he gave it to him. That was the time to discuss money. By your reasoning a tractor jockey should go back and give more money to someone he buys a tractor from when he makes money on it. Likewise ask for some back when he doesn't. Treat your friends like you want to. I'll do the same. I don't give stuff away with strings attached so don't come back to me trying to prove you're the better man after I gave you something. If you do it will be the last time. Different strokes for different folks I reckon.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back