Jubilee compression, checking around 110 to around 100 dry. I'm new to tractors and newly retired. I was told to rebuild it. I have now torn it down

John Kraus

New User
Oil looked good and clean, no water, magnet came up clean. Head looks good, clean and good head gasket. I'm not sure why it had low compression. Also would not start. I had the carburetor rebuild and looks new. Prior to tearing it down, was losing power and finally died and had to push it home.

Oil looked good and clean, no water, magnet came up clean. Head looks good, clean and good head gasket. I'm not sure why it had low compression. Also would not start. I had the carburetor rebuild and looks new. Prior to tearing it down, was losing power and finally died and had to push it home.

NOT sure WHY you would have "torn it down" without doing some troubleshooting/testing first?

It should have started and run with those compression numbers after which it could have been evaluated as to what it might need.

If it was a "rescue" that hadn't run in years a compression test would be all but meaningless.

When a machine that hasn't been run for years is brought back to life it should be RUN and WORKED and warmed up and worked some more, only then does a compression test have much meaning.

A little trouble shooting before "tearing it down" would have gone a long way. Now that you are here what is your interest in tinkering with the old Tractor? You are retired, do you have the time and interest in getting your hands dirty? I by no means am a great mechanic but I enjoy working on these old machines and I understand any interest you may have. If you want to refurbish the engine you need all the appropriate owner, parts and shop manuals. Do some research on line, and watch some videos to increase your confidence. Decide how far do you want to go? Complete rebuild by you, a machine shop or, maybe just a valve job is all you want to tackle. Your decision is now based on what you find in the engine and your interest level. The last tractor I bought was in rough shape and I did not do a pressure test but, I new I wanted to do an engine rebuild for the experience of doing it. I got lucky and found the cylinder sleeves in great shape and the crank had been turned sometime in the past. I replaced the piston rings, journal bearings and did a complete valve replacement. However, I was also committed, if needed, to pull the block and have it boiled and inspected and to do a complete engine rebuild if it was needed.

I have now torn it down, you may as well bless it with you "pocket book" and go for the kill.​

I'm not sure why you tore it down or if there is a question here. I hope you had plans to spend money.

I remember when a couple of brothers bought a Chevy wagon with a six in. It would start and run if you poured STP in each spark plug hole and reinstalled the plugs. After you shut it off you had to dope it again to start it. The tear down showed broken rings and I think it had 4 broken pistons. Compression was like 25.(but it would still run)

The first year of working with the jubilee, I had to overcome someone's effort of converting to 12 volt system. Cut wires and loose components. I originally had it taken to a shop, and had them fix the 12 volt conversion and tune it up as well as clean the carb. I then spent the first year getting to know the machine and to learn to use it and not hurt myself. It slowly got weaker and started stalling and finally would not start. That is when I learned about compression. I was told that was the sign of needing an overhaul, so this is what lead me to tear it down. Yes I'm in deep now, but learning as I go. I feel this is a great place to get good info and go forward. It's a good way to start retirement.

NOT sure WHY you would have "torn it down" without doing some troubleshooting/testing first?

It should have started and run with those compression numbers after which it could have been evaluated as to what it might need.

If it was a "rescue" that hadn't run in years a compression test would be all but meaningless.

When a machine that hasn't been run for years is brought back to life it should be RUN and WORKED and warmed up and worked some more, only then does a compression test have much meaning.
I agree with your reply. I was just frustrated after pushing it home. Being newly retired and being advised that the lose of compression means trouble. Yes I jumped the gun. I'm sure going to learn.

Did you do a wet compression test?
Yes, increased about five psi on each cylinder. It seemed to be carb, but I had it checked with three different repair shops. The throttle was so touchy. Stall or back fire! I had a couple mechanics stop by and adjust the carb, everyone said carb looked good and said it needs to be around 130 psi or greater. They blew air into the cylinders and no air came out any other cylinder, head gasket seemed good. People encouraged me to refresh the engine with new rings and bearings. They are on order and I'm waiting for them to come in. I've torn it down and cleaned everything up. I'm working on lapping the valves,which is a pain for someone who is new at this.

When I tore it down the head gasket was fine. No spun bearings. Only had a couple thousands step on one side of two cylinders the other two had almost no step. But one top ring was cracked on cylinder one! No damage to the cylinder so I may have done it removing the piston?

A little trouble shooting before "tearing it down" would have gone a long way. Now that you are here what is your interest in tinkering with the old Tractor? You are retired, do you have the time and interest in getting your hands dirty? I by no means am a great mechanic but I enjoy working on these old machines and I understand any interest you may have. If you want to refurbish the engine you need all the appropriate owner, parts and shop manuals. Do some research on line, and watch some videos to increase your confidence. Decide how far do you want to go? Complete rebuild by you, a machine shop or, maybe just a valve job is all you want to tackle. Your decision is now based on what you find in the engine and your interest level. The last tractor I bought was in rough shape and I did not do a pressure test but, I new I wanted to do an engine rebuild for the experience of doing it. I got lucky and found the cylinder sleeves in great shape and the crank had been turned sometime in the past. I replaced the piston rings, journal bearings and did a complete valve replacement. However, I was also committed, if needed, to pull the block and have it boiled and inspected and to do a complete engine rebuild if it was needed.
Have you refurbished a number of them? I've never tore into any engine, worked long hours and never had the time. I'm finding it interesting to see how it all works. But it also has me concerned about getting it all together and have it work. I wish there were more videos and better quality videos. I've learned a lot watching Rachel and her dad Dan rebuilding some of the classic old tractors. I've talked with Dan and in part is an I tore into it just to learn. Thanks for the advice

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back