leak from the pin that holds the whole tractor together

ben harpo

MF 135 fluid leak. I think its hydraulic fluid but it could be oil. Dripping from the cotter pin that holds the whole tractor together... bottom of the flywheel.

What am I getting into? Possible part failures? What to remove for further inspection?

That cotter pin is there just for what it is doing. It is a simple way to keep the bell housing drain hole open so oil from either the rear main or transmission seal leak so the oil drained and does not get on the clutch disk. As for holding the tractor together that is does not do. So unless you loose a lot of oil form the engine or transmission I would not worry about it, it is there to do just as in is doing

The pin holding the tractor together is a joke.

I'm losing a persistent drip while running and significant 12" diameter puddle every time i shut the tractor off.

transmission seal... how big a job is that?

Rear main or transmission seal either one means you have to split the tractor at the engine/bell housing which unless you have a set up like I have can be major work. I have a shop set up for doing things like that with 4 chain hoists hanging on an I-Beam and 3 have trollies.

That sounds like i may need to take it somewhere to split the tractor in half... the gaskets are cheap but the repair guy i have is expensive. Is there a way to open a cover, or something simple, that I can examine to be sure.

Also, how bad is it to run with this problem. If the hydraulic fluid gets too low what happens?

I understand cost of hiring a person to do the job I do stuff like what your needing done as aside lien to make a few extra $$ but I am cheap compared to most shops.

As for if fluids get low well if it is engine oil you can blow and engine or if it is hyd oil you can burn out the pump or if it is transmission oil you can lock the transmission up. As for having some place you can open not sure with out know what tractor you have

Sounds like your imput shaft seals are gone..

Clean oil at the cotter pin is that
Dark engine oil at that pin or the hole further .at the conversion plate would be engine rope.seals.

Depending on your type 135 you might get away with spliting at the engine and removing the imput shaft there, if not. You may need to take out the gearbox..

Is it the round or square front Axel 135 and does it have multipower?
Your clutch plates will want to be cleaned now also as oil.will.have gotten onto them.

You won't know until the tractor is split at the bell housing. Then see where the oil is coming from

I've just done one of those imput shaft seals on my 35

Black oil , likely to be the rear engine seal , cleaner oil , the transmission input seal .
Like the joke , I'm going to use that one in the future :D

I?ve been where you are before on my 135. Word of advice, replace all the seals, rear engine and transmission seals. I had a new clutch put in and the rear main seal. Put it all back together and the transmission seals started leaking. I had to break it apart again. $1800 total for new seals, new clutch, fuel tank washed and coated on the inside, new front pin installed to front axle new temp gauge. 1972 model Perkins Gasser. 1815 hours on the clock. The seals just crumbled when we pulled them out. Dry rot.

So my tractor sat for 20 years and I am getting a small leak 4” diameter and leaks when running. Do I just keep an eye on the levels? Not sure if it’s both hydraulic and engine oil or just hydraulic.

MF 135 fluid leak. I think its hydraulic fluid but it could be oil. Dripping from the cotter pin that holds the whole tractor together... bottom of the flywheel.

What am I getting into? Possible part failures? What to remove for further inspection?
6 speed Transmission..3 forwards with H/L Range?
Multpower? No Multipower?

At the bottom of the Bell housing,is there a removable inspection plate?
Here are pics of a 6 speed (1963 MF 35 ) no multipower that required all seals replaced as per the input transmission drive shafts.

Attachments

• DSCN0048.JPG
    DSCN0048.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0030.JPG
    DSCN0030.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0043.JPG
    DSCN0043.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0033.JPG
    DSCN0033.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0046.JPG
    DSCN0046.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0049.JPG
    DSCN0049.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9990.JPG
    DSCN9990.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN9991.JPG
    DSCN9991.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9980.JPG
    DSCN9980.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: ET

Several more pics.. Only allowed 10 pics at a time....here are a few more..

Attachments

• DSCN0122.JPG
    DSCN0122.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0123.JPG
    DSCN0123.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN9987.JPG
    DSCN9987.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN9989.JPG
    DSCN9989.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0045.JPG
    DSCN0045.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0046.JPG
    DSCN0046.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN9673.JPG
    DSCN9673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
After a complete rebuild (150) I drilled a hole in the inspection cover, installed cotter pin like the bell housing area. That way in the future I could see if leak was from rear engine seal or transmission shafts. There was a raised casting area between them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back