Mahindra 7010 diesel tractor starter issues

rbuckel

When temps are cold, 25-35 degrees, starter spins too slow to start tractor. NAPA performed load test on battery and said it is good. Yesterday temp was 50 and starter spins normally and tractor starts right up. Was leaning towards replacing a faulty starter. Now I don't know. Need suggestions. Connections look clean and tight.
Thanks

I would recommend checking all battery cable connections, and the ground, and then take the starter to a reputable repair shop, if you have one. It might just be bushings, brushed and need cleaning.

What size battery cables are on it?

Bigger is always better. You can have heavy gauge cables, size 0 or 00 made at a truck/equipment supply.

Attach the ground to or near the starter. Be sure to clean away the paint under the ground connection, and where the starter mounts.

Worn starter bushing will cause the starter to drag, crank slow, and pull excess battery amps.

I’d agree with Steve about the battery cables. They are probably adequate for more normal starting conditions. They are easy to make if you can find the component parts. Go up a size or two. What you can do as a trial is to attach jumper leads from the battery to the starter solenoid and a good chassis earth point. If it improves you will be getting more power to the starter.
DavidP, South Wales

And what about the battery itself? how old? proper capacity of cranking amps..CCA...
Do load test on it anyway to remove any doubt?
hope it helps

I really doubt it is a starter issue, more likely thick oil, poor battery or cables. I am not familiar with this model, does it have glow plugs, block heater or thermostart? My Ford 6610 will not start at that temperature without assistance, never has and probably never will.

A voltmeter is the best tool for diagnosing these issues.

Please post more information.

(quoted from post at 09:19:32 11/21/20) When temps are cold, 25-35 degrees, starter spins too slow to start tractor. NAPA performed load test on battery and said it is good. Yesterday temp was 50 and starter spins normally and tractor starts right up. Was leaning towards replacing a faulty starter. Now I don't know. Need suggestions. Connections look clean and tight.
Thanks

Did they load test it outside at 25 degrees or inside at 70 degrees????

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back