Marvel Schebler TSX ID/Differences

tigercreek

Long story short. I've had this tractor for 25 years. Came skinned and painted as a pre-64 Ford 2000 but stamped codes put it at a '57 640.
It also came with an old Zenith carb that never ran right but I manged to keep it going.
A couple years ago I ran across an old TSX that "fit" the tractor and had the controls in the right position. I replaced the Zenith and have been running with this mystery TSX.
Well, the old TSX started giving me problems and I bought a cheap TSX-765 clone to get me by until I can get my TSX rebuilt.
I am unable to get this Chinese clone to adjust out and run correctly so I am pulling it and getting the old TSX rebuilt ASAP.
All that being said, I know that the carb that originally came on this tractor would have been a TSX-580 - and the old mystery original TSX type-B I have "fits" and has the "right linkage" (only numbers found are 10A / 3 / 355 on the bottom of the bowl - '55 production date?).
After all of that long winded explanation - what determines the difference in these small TSX carbs? I never see any jet options. I am assuming the difference in the kits are the linkage choices and the quantity of replacement parts. For example, I would need a kit that has that small spring for the hinged choke plate.
Any way to definitively ID what TSX I have?

The TSX carbs should have a brass tag with the number but it could be missing. The ones on my E3s the tag is on the side pressed into the choke shaft hole opposite the lever. That's for the small bowl TSX. It may be hidden by paint or crud. Internal differences are mainly the venturi and load jet.

There were 3 different throttle bore sizes, different carb to manifold bolt spacings, some had power adjust needle on top and some on bottom of bowl, different fuel in let sizes, ,,,,,,,

Yep - info tag missing. Only numbers available are stamped on the bottom. Guessing 355 is a March 1955 build date.
Maybe I could ask this a different way. Since this is a small bowl TSX type B ( 1 1/16 bore, 2 1/4 center to center mount) that correctly fits my Ford 640, would buying a premium 580 rebuild kit essentially make it a 580?
TSX.jpg

Last edited:
Yep - info tag missing. Only numbers available are stamped on the bottom. Guessing 355 is a March 1955 build date.
Maybe I could ask this a different way. Since this is a small bowl TSX type B that correctly fits my Ford 640, would buying a premium 580 rebuild kit essentially make it a 580?
View attachment 68209
M/S made 4 sizes of carbs. Small medium, large and extra large. I buy my carb kits from O'Reilly's and if not sure which kit I need I take the carb/gaskets with me and match them up

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back