Massey Ferguson 135 Power Steering Problem.

Welding man

I am working on a MF 135 that keeps breaking the gear rack in the power steering sector. The sector has been completely rebuilt . It works fine for a little while and then it breaks the rack. Any Suggestions?

Not sure what "breaking the gear rack" means. Does it somehow fail to steer at all, or does the power steering itself just quit working?

I've run my 135 w/o power steering as long as I've had it. Last time I took it in for other repairs, I asked about fixing the power steering & was told it'd be expensive, given any advantage it'd provide. If forced to guess, I suspect most just soldier on w/o it.

Upvote 0
Not my tractor, it's a customer's. We put over $1000.00 worth of parts in the sector alone and it broke the rack the second time. I ordered another one and replaced it again. So far so good.

Upvote 0
I rebuilt my steering box on my 135.
Worked well for 13 hours on the hour meter, then I heard a snap and it was done.
Trailered it to a guy 4 hours away, paid him $800 to fix and havent had a problem since ( knock on wood).
They are finneckey.

Upvote 0
What is the pump relief valve pressure set at? Years ago I saw a 35 rack housing break because Bubba raised the pump relief valve setting much higher than the stock setting as tractor had a heavy loader on it and he thought it steered slow. If I recall 100/1100 PSI is the stock range, but check the service manual to be sure. Relief valve MIGHT be stuck closed too.

Upvote 0
What is the pump relief valve pressure set at? Years ago I saw a 35 rack housing break because Bubba raised the pump relief valve setting much higher than the stock setting as tractor had a heavy loader on it and he thought it steered slow. If I recall 100/1100 PSI is the stock range, but check the service manual to be sure. Relief valve MIGHT be stuck closed too.
Kindly suspected relief valve was stuck also. We just put a new pump on it too. So far so good.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back