MF231S Perkins 903.27 oil pressure fluctuations

Dan S (NY)

I have an MF231S with the Perkins 903.27 engine and after replacing a broken oil pressure light sensor I noticed the oil light has a faint flicker at all RPMs. I just recently got this tractor so I don't know the history but it only has 580 hours and runs really well. The oil and filter have just been changed (15w40 / Napa 1515). I temporarily installed a pressure gauge so I could see what kind of pressure I had and the needle is bouncing quite a bit. This is a relatively cheap gauge and probably has no damping but should it it bounding around like that? Below are two links to videos showing what it is doing. I only had it running about 5 minutes before taking these videos so its not warmed up, and when I have more time on another day I will see what it does and what the pressure drops to when warmed up more. I read someones speculation on a similair questoin that the oil pressure port is from the camshaft feed and may be pulsing as the camshaft rotates..don't know.

Another thing I am looking into is there a some air puffing back out of the air cleaner seal which increases with RPMs. I am thinking that no one has adjusted the valves since new and the intake may not be closing long enough and allowing a little blow back. At lease thats what I'm hoping. I will check the valves once I get the service book this week.
Any thoughts on these issues?

Idle fluctuations

1200 rpm fluctuations

I have an MF231S with the Perkins 903.27 engine and after replacing a broken oil pressure light sensor I noticed the oil light has a faint flicker at all RPMs. I just recently got this tractor so I don't know the history but it only has 580 hours and runs really well. The oil and filter have just been changed (15w40 / Napa 1515). I temporarily installed a pressure gauge so I could see what kind of pressure I had and the needle is bouncing quite a bit. This is a relatively cheap gauge and probably has no damping but should it it bounding around like that? Below are two links to videos showing what it is doing. I only had it running about 5 minutes before taking these videos so its not warmed up, and when I have more time on another day I will see what it does and what the pressure drops to when warmed up more. I read someones speculation on a similair questoin that the oil pressure port is from the camshaft feed and may be pulsing as the camshaft rotates..don't know.

Another thing I am looking into is there a some air puffing back out of the air cleaner seal which increases with RPMs. I am thinking that no one has adjusted the valves since new and the intake may not be closing long enough and allowing a little blow back. At lease thats what I'm hoping. I will check the valves once I get the service book this week.
Any thoughts on these issues?

Idle fluctuations

1200 rpm fluctuations
Dan, Hello, I worked on one of them with a similar problem, I dropped the oil pan and pressurized the oil system with a pump, and oil came gushing down from under the front gear cover, , pulled the front cover and found a bolt had come loose that holds a pressurized idler gear to the block causing a massive leak,,,, tightened it back up with lock tight.....put it back together, had good normal oil pressure, ,,easy fix for a big problem.......Hope this helps.......Ed

Dan, Hello, I worked on one of them with a similar problem, I dropped the oil pan and pressurized the oil system with a pump, and oil came gushing down from under the front gear cover, , pulled the front cover and found a bolt had come loose that holds a pressurized idler gear to the block causing a massive leak,,,, tightened it back up with lock tight.....put it back together, had good normal oil pressure, ,,easy fix for a big problem.......Hope this helps.......Ed
Thanks for the info. I posted this on the Massey forum and DieselTech tells me what I am seeing is normal in Perkins due to cam oiling design. My pressure even at idle is bouncing around 60psi, although I havent fully warmed it up with the guage installed. When you encountered your problem what was the pressure reading?

Discussion on Massey forum

Thanks for the info. I posted this on the Massey forum and DieselTech tells me what I am seeing is normal in Perkins due to cam oiling design. My pressure even at idle is bouncing around 60psi, although I havent fully warmed it up with the guage installed. When you encountered your problem what was the pressure reading?

Discussion on Massey forum
Dan, Thanks for the reply, The one i worked on came in for serious low oil pressure when hot , I don,t recall how low as that was years ago.. I just wanted to give you a heads up if that was you,re problem, as it can be hard to troubleshoot ,,,good luck to you, and hello from Ohio......ED

Dan, Thanks for the reply, The one i worked on came in for serious low oil pressure when hot , I don,t recall how low as that was years ago.. I just wanted to give you a heads up if that was you,re problem, as it can be hard to troubleshoot ,,,good luck to you, and hello from Ohio......ED
Good to know. I will monitor this one and see what happens hot but hopefully it is just 'normal'. I do have a 1962 MF35 with the indirect injection Perkins and haven't used it because when hot the oil pressure drops to almost zero at idle even though it reads around 55 when first started cold. It also runs really well so I don't think its worn out but I need to drop the pan and check bearing clearances and I will now add your check to my list.

Dan

Good to know. I will monitor this one and see what happens hot but hopefully it is just 'normal'. I do have a 1962 MF35 with the indirect injection Perkins and haven't used it because when hot the oil pressure drops to almost zero at idle even though it reads around 55 when first started cold. It also runs really well so I don't think its worn out but I need to drop the pan and check bearing clearances and I will now add your check to my list.

Dan
Dan, come to think of it the one i worked on was a MF35, about the same year, There's a fair chance yours has the same problem,,,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,Ed

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back