Radiator Empty and Tractor Surging for Super C

Bookman

I went to start my 1952 Super C to day. i had not started it since last fall. In checking the radiator I could not see any antifreeze. I ended up putting almost two gallons of water in it. I thought maybe it had leaked into the oil, but I drained the oil and saw no evidence of antifreeze in it or more than the usual amount of oil. There is some evidence of leakage by the water pump, but I would not think antifreeze would leak and evaporate that much over the winter. Anyone ever have a similar experience?

I filled the gas tank and started the tractor. It had belly mower on it. I engaged the belly mower and got about 50 feet from the shop and it started surging. It never did die, but I was afraid it would. I got it back to the shop, parked, and shut off. What should I be checking first, second, etc.? Thanks in advance.

I went to start my 1952 Super C to day. i had not started it since last fall. In checking the radiator I could not see any antifreeze. I ended up putting almost two gallons of water in it. I thought maybe it had leaked into the oil, but I drained the oil and saw no evidence of antifreeze in it or more than the usual amount of oil. There is some evidence of leakage by the water pump, but I would not think antifreeze would leak and evaporate that much over the winter. Anyone ever have a similar experience?

I filled the gas tank and started the tractor. It had belly mower on it. I engaged the belly mower and got about 50 feet from the shop and it started surging. It never did die, but I was afraid it would. I got it back to the shop, parked, and shut off. What should I be checking first, second, etc.? Thanks in advance.
The coolant went somewhere! so looking for leaks is first 2 gallons might be at the water pump level. Surging is probably a fuel delivery issue. Open the plug in the bottom of the carb holding a clean tin can under it. it should make a pint in 2 minutes. If it comes out fast, then trickles, the supply side is the issue. Jim

Also could check bumper spring under acorn nut on bottom of governor,could be broke..after you remove spring check up in the hole for any part of the spring that broke an is still in there ,i use a sheet rock screw to remove broken spring...dewy

When you pull the drain plug out of the carb after 5 seconds does it keep flowing a stream or does it slow to drips. If slows to drips you have to figure out where the fuel flow is restricted. FYI, there is a fine screen in the elbow fitting that the fuel line connects to the carburetor by. If the flow is good; grab the rod going to the carb from the governor and hold it in one spot. If the engine continues to surge there is a plugged passage in your carb. If it holds a steady speed it is the buffer spring dewy mentions.

Thanks for the responses. I put about 8 ounces of Seafoam in the gas tank and ran the tractor a bit longer. It eventually it quit surging and started running smoothly. Either the Seafoam worked in ungumming the carb or whatever may have been plugging a jet in the carb passed on through or something else. Regarding the radiator, I put some stop leak in it. I am going to use the tractor tomorrow and will be checking the radiator carefully. It had antifreeze in it, and my understanding is that antifreeze will leak at times where water will not. I really do not want to take the grill and radiator off again to reseal the water pump. Time will tell. Thanks for the good advice.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back