Source of a 3 Post (correct) starter solenoid.

Btzj02

Can anyone confidently tell me where to purchase the correct 3 Post starter solenoid for my 960? Per the shop manual the starter cable connects to the left and the battery and alternator cables connect to the right. The small post is supposed to be connected internally to the right post so that when the starter switch is pushed current flows to ground and the starter is energized. I have tried two new solenoids and both are incorrect such that the small post is internally connected to the left starter post. The solenoid will not operate correctly if I wire as designed. Temporarily I swapped the starter and battery cables so I can tune the engine but the posts are not the same length, meaning a poor connection for the battery and alternator, and the starter cable has too much stress on it. I tried mounting the solenoid upside down but of course my cables would need to be replaced and the short lug problem still exists. I can use as is to tune the engine but it is bothering the crap out of me to leave it this way! JMOR?

Did you try switching the wire from one small post to the other? Second post is supposed to send extra voltage at start to the coil, but isn't really needed. The wire to the small post should go back to the ignition switch. I had a similar deal on my tractor and it was because the small wire was on the wrong post (despite what instructions say)

Did you try switching the wire from one small post to the other? Second post is supposed to send extra voltage at start to the coil, but isn't really needed. The wire to the small post should go back to the ignition switch. I had a similar deal on my tractor and it was because the small wire was on the wrong post (despite what instructions say)
I am using a 3 post solenoid so there is no second small post. The small post is supposed to simply connect to the push starter neutral safety switch so when the switch is pressed the circuit is completed to ground causing current flow through the small post. I wish the new solenoids came with an internal wiring diagram then it would be much easier to try and modify a not OEM solenoid like you suggest. The only thing I am positive about is that the mounting bracket does not ground any of the posts.

Can anyone confidently tell me where to purchase the correct 3 Post starter solenoid for my 960? Per the shop manual the starter cable connects to the left and the battery and alternator cables connect to the right. The small post is supposed to be connected internally to the right post so that when the starter switch is pushed current flows to ground and the starter is energized. I have tried two new solenoids and both are incorrect such that the small post is internally connected to the left starter post. The solenoid will not operate correctly if I wire as designed. Temporarily I swapped the starter and battery cables so I can tune the engine but the posts are not the same length, meaning a poor connection for the battery and alternator, and the starter cable has too much stress on it. I tried mounting the solenoid upside down but of course my cables would need to be replaced and the short lug problem still exists. I can use as is to tune the engine but it is bothering the crap out of me to leave it this way! JMOR?
It is an insulated base so it goes not use the base for a ground point. If it starts the tractor that way you can use it to start the tractor to tune it, and while you locate one that is correct for mounting to fit your cables. Be sure to secure it, or wrap it with something, to insulate the posts from making contact and shorting out if it is not mounted.

I obviously can't see what you have and no part numbers are presented. I'm fairly certain that the tractor was factory equipped with a 4 terminal solenoid, where one small was powered by ign sw and other small received ground via neutral starter sw.

Last edited:
Did you try the suppliers here on YT? CLICK ON "SHOP NOW" for parts. 1st is to ensure you have the correct part and number. It is: NCA-11450-A. 6V/3-POST Unit. The I&T F0-20 Service Manual has the OEM 6V/POS GRN wiring schematic. A 12V conversion changes nothing on the Starter Motor and RELAY. so an ALT does not matter in the circuit.

LINK: NCA-11450-A RELAY-
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-900_Starter-Solenoid-Assembly_NCA11450A.html

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• I & T FO-20 MANUAL - AA FRONT COVER.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - AA FRONT COVER.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 143.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 143.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I am using a 3 post solenoid so there is no second small post. The small post is supposed to simply connect to the push starter neutral safety switch so when the switch is pressed the circuit is completed to ground causing current flow through the small post. I wish the new solenoids came with an internal wiring diagram then it would be much easier to try and modify a not OEM solenoid like you suggest. The only thing I am positive about is that the mounting bracket does not ground any of the posts.
Have you tried reversing what's connected to the two large posts? What matters is how things are configured electrically for both of the large posts and the one small post. Electrons don't really care about left vs. right except when being run through a coil to create a magnetic field.

After trying two brand new 3 post Solenoids I was going to order the one that is available on this website but it looks exactly like the two that I was not satisfied with. I decided to visit the local automotive electrical guru and ask if he had what I was looking for. He recommended buying an insulated 4 post solenoid and he educated me on how the coil was connected internally. The result is all my wiring fits perfectly and I only had to run a wire from the hot side of my terminal block to one of the small posts and connect the starter switch wire to the other small post. Now that I understand all is good!
PXL_20240326_174042944.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back