The old glass water jug.

37chief

Walking past one of my old buildings I spot a couple glass gallon jugs, the ones with the little loupe for your finger to pick it up. The sight of those glass jugs brought back some memories. No matter what we were doing, Dad always had a glass water jug for drinking water, no matter what we were doing. Bailing hay (stationary baler) hoeing beans, cleaning up the bean head rows (by hand with a fork) after Dad cut them. Every one drank out of the same gallon jug. My brother would make sure I didn't put my lips on the spout. I sure miss those days. Stan

Walking past one of my old buildings I spot a couple glass gallon jugs, the ones with the little loupe for your finger to pick it up. The sight of those glass jugs brought back some memories. No matter what we were doing, Dad always had a glass water jug for drinking water, no matter what we were doing. Bailing hay (stationary baler) hoeing beans, cleaning up the bean head rows (by hand with a fork) after Dad cut them. Every one drank out of the same gallon jug. My brother would make sure I didn't put my lips on the spout. I sure miss those days. Stan
At our place it was "crock" gallon jugs wrapped in wet burlap in the hay field.

At our place it was "crock" gallon jugs wrapped in wet burlap in the hay field.
We used a quart jar wrapped in an old wool sock and often with the additive of flaxseed [small amount] to augment and give nourishment.
Dad & I remember finding one at the corner of the field fence post a year or two later still as good tasting as the day he put it there 2 years earlier.
Wm.

The logging crew always took water to work in those glass jugs and salt pills in the summer. I used to walk to the main farm with my dad when I was a kid and fill the jugs. They would also let me hold the gt. can of Homilite oil that went into the 4 gallons of gas while it drained. Those old 777s were thirsty.

Born in 71, Dad used the glass Wagner orange juice jars. Large enough opening for ice cubes and Mom kept the paper bags from sugar for the insulator/protection. Later on a regular water jug. Found a couple in 2nd hand stores a few years ago, better than what you can buy today. Brother and cousin remembered dad's old water jug when they seen mine.

We had several 1 gallon glass jugs wrapped with burlap. Everyone drank out of the same jug. When we needed another jug he would buy a gallon of root beer so that was a win win.

Yup, pointer finger through the little glass loop and the jug resting on your flexed arm. Lift your arm up to drink what you want, then drop your arm down. Good times. When our family went camping in the 50's we didn't have a picnic cooler. Just cardboard boxes and stuff that could spoil taken out of the fridge at home (or from some store cooler on the trip), then wrapped in newspapers and towels. We somehow survived .....

Besides the miscellaneous jugs and coolers, I remember 1 farmer whom we baled hay for who had a cup at the cistern hand pump with 1 cup that hung on a nail under the porch eave that we all drank out of. That cistern water was the best cistern water I ever tasted- everyone agreed. We never carried water there. The hay field was right beside his house. Mark.

Fast forward to current times as I freeze water in milk jugs or 2 liter bottles and carry them with me on a tractor in the garden or hay field, or in the baccer fields in years past. I drink water as the ice melts. Good, cold, and hits the spot!

Fast forward to current times as I freeze water in milk jugs or 2 liter bottles and carry them with me on a tractor in the garden or hay field, or in the baccer fields in years past. I drink water as the ice melts. Good, cold, and hits the spot!
JIM My dad has a lot of weird or sometimes sorta crazy rules and theories that he "sort of" applied to us growing up (but we never really followed too much). One was that drinking ice cold water wasn't good for you. When he grew up as a kid in the 20's there was an old Chinese fellow who lived near him that told him that, and the guy was pretty old so it must have been good advice. Anyways, there are still opinions floating around about that, here's a link to read about it ....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back