Voltage regulator

Question about the regulator on a friends Farmall 100 or 200 I don't recall, its 12 volt as I remember. . He says he thinks the generator is not keeping the battery up as in dead. His question to me is about the base mount on the regulator, seems part of the resilient rubber mount is broken and and the regulator case may be touching the generator case. Can this be an issue or is it just a coincidence. I will look at it in a few days but was wondering if the case is grounded to the generator will it cause a problem other than vibration? Thanks for now.

Removing the VR is the answer. Replace generator with an alternator.

Check with Charlie Uthke. He will get you everything you need with
instructions, diagrams, and photos.

If it is a true regulator, then it needs to be grounded. There should be a ground wire from the base to
the generator case or the body ground.

If it is only a cutout then no ground is needed.

The rubber is primarily for vibration isolation.

(quoted from post at 09:15:49 04/03/23) If it is a true regulator, then it needs to be grounded. There should be a ground wire from the base to
the generator case or the body ground.

If it is only a cutout then no ground is needed.

The rubber is primarily for vibration isolation.
fella 'learns' something new everyday!

The VR needs to be grounded. There should
be a flexible braided copper wire jumper
across the rubber vibration mount if it
hasn't been broken off by time and
vibration.

With respect, I believe this is incorrect. Without a ground, the pull in (voltage sensitive) shunt winding cannot detect generator output. There will be no reason for it to close! Jim
Diagram

Long story short, the broken rubber isolator probably has nothing to do with why the charging system is not charging.

I highly doubt it's generator and 12V. Such a conversion gains you nothing on a tractor like a 100 or 200.

First verify that the battery is 6V or 12V. Three water caps is 6V. Six caps, two caps (covering 3 holes each), or no caps, is 12V.

Next get the number off the tag on the generator.

Once you've verified that you have a matching 6V battery and charging system, OR a 12V battery and charging system, find John T's generator troubleshooting procedure here on this forum, and follow it to determine what is wrong in the system.

Alternatively you can convert to 12V alternator complete with battery and wiring, for about what it would cost to replace the generator alone. On a 100 or 200 the alternator mounting is easy. You don't need to modify any brackets or care about hood clearance. Using a one-wire alternator you don't even need to re-wire the tractor.

(quoted from post at 10:33:32 04/03/23) Long story short, the broken rubber isolator probably has nothing to do with why the charging system is not charging.

I highly doubt it's generator and 12V. Such a conversion gains you nothing on a tractor like a 100 or 200.

First verify that the battery is 6V or 12V. Three water caps is 6V. Six caps, two caps (covering 3 holes each), or no caps, is 12V.

Next get the number off the tag on the generator.

Once you've verified that you have a matching 6V battery and charging system, OR a 12V battery and charging system, find John T's generator troubleshooting procedure here on this forum, and follow it to determine what is wrong in the system.

Alternatively you can convert to 12V alternator complete with battery and wiring, for about what it would cost to replace the generator alone. On a 100 or 200 the alternator mounting is easy. You don't need to modify any brackets or care about hood clearance. Using a one-wire alternator you don't even need to re-wire the tractor.
As said earlier it will be later this week before I see it. I agree that the rubber is just a vibration isolator but was not sure as it has been since the early 80's since I looked at one of these older tractors or any tractor for that matter. I was looking for validation on my own thoughts as to the rubber mount. Will know more later if he does not work it out before I can see it. Thanks to all who responded.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back