Wiring diagram for a 1954 TEA 20.

Gents, I have looked on the forum here and cant find a wiring diagram for this old TEA 20 I'm messing with.

It has been altered as it is wired to by-pass the gear lever starter switch, and has a solenoid.
Is this because it has been fitted with an alternator?
I am missing an ignition switch, and see no wires for one, so would like to see what I need to make it work.

As I got it at a scrap yard, it may have had the ignition switch robbed, but I guess they took the wires as well.
Any help with a diagram would be great. I have a book coming, but not here yet!

All the best and thanks in advance for any help,
Rich.

(quoted from post at 22:43:29 04/10/23) Gents, I have looked on the forum here and cant find a wiring diagram for this old TEA 20 I'm messing with.

It has been altered as it is wired to by-pass the gear lever starter switch, and has a solenoid.
Is this because it has been fitted with an alternator?
I am missing an ignition switch, and see no wires for one, so would like to see what I need to make it work.

As I got it at a scrap yard, it may have had the ignition switch robbed, but I guess they took the wires as well.
Any help with a diagram would be great. I have a book coming, but not here yet!

All the best and thanks in advance for any help,
Rich.

Here is a link to a wiring diagram as it should be. It is the starting point to modify as needed for your tractor. If your TEA has an alternator installed the wiring diagram will not be correct in the charging system area and possibly the system ground. If it has an electric solenoid for the starter the starting system won't be correct either. Wiring diagrams for what someone did in their backyard to their tractor aren't all the same. If you plan to keep an alternator and the electric starter solenoid with a key start switch, all the details, such as what the alternator is, need to be known to find one of the good generic diagrams out there, because not all those items were not factory equipment.

http://www.fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/electrical/TE-TEA-20-6V-12V.pdf

Thank you for the link Jim, I will have a look at it.

I would like to go back to the starter switch on gear lever, but an alternator makes sense.
Will get back to you on the alternator and general set-up, but am pretty ignorant where wiring is concerned!

Thanks again and all the best,
Rich.

Tea-20 as per factory installation.
Bob..
cvphoto152093.jpg

cvphoto152094.jpg

cvphoto152095.jpg

These manuals are great... TEA-20 Ferguson Tractors.......

Purchased off the Internet.

e-bay...
KIJIJI....(Internet buy and sell)
Craigs list...(Internet buy and sell)
cvphoto152179.jpg

cvphoto152180.jpg

cvphoto152181.jpg

Thanks for your replies JD,
I have asked another question in another thread, as its not Exactly related.

Thank you for the wiring diagram, I found another thread on line where the tractor was suffering from "previous Owner Syndrome!
I laughed out loud! So is this one.
I have a book coming , but not arrived yet.

Got switch all cleaned up, it's the old original one with disk and contacts.
Testing it it works well but not in the tractor, even moving it back and forth.
Gear lever runs into the shifter guide so only goes half as far as it should. selectors all move easily with a small bar.

Asked more Q's about this under another heading, as it isn't exactly to do with wiring.

Thank you again JD,

Richard.

Thank you for the wiring diagram, I found another thread on line where the tractor was suffering from "previous Owner Syndrome!
I laughed out loud! So is this one.

Richard.
And they will say the same thing about my TE-20. I would hazard a guess that many of these old tractors "suffer" from that. Probably the reason the solenoid was added was that the shift lever switch quit working. It was a bit unreliable after the years had taken their toil. I think that's why Dad switched to a solenoid start on my inherited TE-20. I made one slight change when I got it going again; I wired the push button start switch through the ignition switch so it couldn't be activated with the key off. Really, it's not a bad solution. Most older manual transmission tractors, trucks, and cars had no neutral or clutch safety switch. I guess the drivers back then knew not to start it in gear and/or to have the clutch pushed in before trying to start it.

I have the wife's TO-20 starter solenoid wired through the shift handle. Those contacts will last much longer if not having to push full amperage to kick a starter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back