IH 424 front weights

Need to get some weight on the front of my 424. No front frame “bumper” present to bolt a bracket to. Did find some threaded holes on side rails that something could be fabricated to. Two holes per side. Is there a pair of oem brackets made that mount to the chassis and extend out the front to receive small suitcase weights? Fabricate one? Thinking front wheel weights may have been available? Part numbers for these?

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
Loading the front tires with calcium will help some, depending on what you’re doing with it. I have a 6’ Bush Hog mower on my 434 and the front end was a wee bit light. Loading the front tires was just enough.

This page from the CaseIH online parts book shows your factory options.

https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...actor/cn/01CF6496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

Honestly I don't think you're going to find any of the options easily or inexpensively. Same goes for front wheel weights.

The book shows a standard 06-56 series suitcase weight bracket, but you said there's no place to bolt one on the front of the tractor, right? Not sure about that one...

If you have some suitcase weights, in my opinion, it's time to get creative. Do like you said, cut out some side plates to hang a weight bracket out front. I just don't like the calcium in the front tires option. It's not going to add that much weight; I'd rather have more than "just enough."

My 2424 came to me with some big angle irons bolted to those front loader holes. I think previously the tractor had powered a broom or something by the front end. That allowed me to attach some homemade weights - old dies from the factory dad worked at. I will see if I have some good photos to post. And x2 on loading the front tires. I did mine when I replaced them about 10 years ago, plus just bought some wheel weights this fall.

Need to get some weight on the front of my 424. No front frame “bumper” present to bolt a bracket to. Did find some threaded holes on side rails that something could be fabricated to. Two holes per side. Is there a pair of oem brackets made that mount to the chassis and extend out the front to receive small suitcase weights? Fabricate one? Thinking front wheel weights may have been available? Part numbers for these?
Really nice looking tractor by the way!

Nice looking 424, back in the 1960s Dad had a B414D and it had cast iron weights on the front wheels plus calcium.
Later Dad had 434 and 384 that had a loader on them so no additional weights required.

Nice looking 424, back in the 1960s Dad had a B414D and it had cast iron weights on the front wheels plus calcium.
Later Dad had 434 and 384 that had a loader on them so no additional weights required.
Thanks to all for great comments and suggestions. Thinking of building a bracket but may check on fluid capacity of front tires. Would like to use the 424 to move big rounds of orchard grass. It will lift them with a spear, would prefer not to steer with the brakes! The side brackets from the part’s catalog look perfect but of course not available. Thanks for the nice comments, I’ve owned for two years and just love my first red tractor! 5’ foot rotary cutter main task, lifts with no problem. 5x6 big round not so good.

Thanks to all for great comments and suggestions. Thinking of building a bracket but may check on fluid capacity of front tires. Would like to use the 424 to move big rounds of orchard grass. It will lift them with a spear, would prefer not to steer with the brakes! The side brackets from the part’s catalog look perfect but of course not available. Thanks for the nice comments, I’ve owned for two years and just love my first red tractor! 5’ foot rotary cutter main task, lifts with no problem. 5x6 big round not so good.
Here are a couple of pixs of my 2424 with the front weights. The cross piece was welded to the large angle irons. I bolted on the weights.
Tim

Attachments

• DSC03349.JPG
    DSC03349.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 35
  • 2424 shot.png
    2424 shot.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Wit5h a piece of plate cut to fit the bolt holes and shape of the sides. Probably in the 1/2 inch thick range to clear the sides of the tin work then a second placed right over it stuck out enough to weld a piece to fit front weights on would let you have a bracket that would look good and work well for holding the weights in place or could even weld w official weight bracket between them for the weights to go on.

Wit5h a piece of plate cut to fit the bolt holes and shape of the sides. Probably in the 1/2 inch thick range to clear the sides of the tin work then a second placed right over it stuck out enough to weld a piece to fit front weights on would let you have a bracket that would look good and work well for holding the weights in place or could even weld w official weight bracket between them for the weights to go on.
So you have brackets for sale?

There is a right side one available in Tx. The heading of the listing gives the wrong number, but the description has it correct and it looks correct.
371390R3 weight
I bet there is a left one out there. Might try the YT mothership. All States Ag Parts 855-530-1460

We cut up some scrap weights then made 1/4 thick cover for both and bolted to each side in the front also worked out for the front guard. Like the fluid in front tire idea.
IMG_0101.jpeg

You should probably go with a 2001. 1501 is a light duty manure loader, which is ok if that’s what you are actually doing with it. It won’t stand much abuse .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back