Recent content by dnorum

  1. D

    2N oil bypass valve adjustment

    I bought a new spring to get more than 30 lbs in higher rpm and got 25 lbs with new spring so I used the old spring with a washered nut to shim the spring now I have 40 lbs
  2. D

    Resister in 1950 8N Frontmount

    Your right I dont know what the resistance is in the coil. I am only going by the tech guy told me that is in his 12V conversion kit. I will just have to try and test when installing.
  3. D

    Resister in 1950 8N Frontmount

    No, I have not put in my 4th coil yet. But when I do I am going to check if I have 12V with points open and aprox 3V when points are closed. The ballast resistor I am talking about with all the wires is the same as in the picture. the posts on the top of the balaster is the ones to use one...
  4. D

    Resister in 1950 8N Frontmount

    I just hung up the phone from external_link where I bought my 12V conversion for my '49 8N front mount 1 wire to alt. I called him for the same reason you posted. I have burnt up 3 12V coils. So here is what he told me to do. 1. Hook up battery wire from the key switch to the ceramic...
  5. D

    12 V wiring ?

    Geiger and Iha, Thank you for giving me a solid answer about having to use the original resister , the one with all the wires. Now I have that in my head, I feel better. I ordered a 12V coil from yesterdays and will install it next week, now should I also use the in line resister? or should I...
  6. D

    12 V wiring ?

    see picture of existing wiring that has burnt up 2 coils Still trying to wire it right Thanks, Dnorum
  7. D

    12 V wiring ?

    I have just burned up another 12V coil on my 49 8N converted to 12V 1 wire. I was told by a ford tractor mechanic to use only the in line resister and not the original style one with all the wires. When I bought the kit from external_link, the diagram showed using both resisters? I now have a...
  8. D

    8n engine valves

    or: Use a "c-clamp" for overhead valve engines, take out keepers pull valve up and remove springs, even if you bend springs, new ones are cheap, pull the valves out and then you can tap the valve guides down to get the horseshoes out, then it is easier to get the guides out.
  9. D

    Connecting rod oil hole

    I think it goes to the thrust side of the piston, but you should check in a tractor, motor book or machine shop.
  10. D

    Blipping or puffing??

    Is my rpm gauge from northern ($60.00) reading double rpms?? I just adjusted my side jet and ildle speed down to 810 rpm as it reads, seems like 400 rpm?,wrapped around a plug wire, and it was hardly running very slow and putted nice without blips Then I opened up the main jet to two turns and...
  11. D

    Blipping or puffing??

    Thank for all of your answers. I took air cleaner apart. replaced woolys etc. the black soot on the plugs seems like the carburator setting but adjusting it does not seem to help, I have a tendency to think I have to have a load on engine something like at shows, those 1 lungers that smooth out...
  12. D

    Blipping or puffing??

    My blipping is more than a little and it does not seem like a miss. Oh and I forgot to say my plugs were black and sooty but #2 was not so black so I moved the carb main jet from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 open and made no difference yet?
  13. D

    Blipping or puffing??

    Still working on my 49 8n to see if I can get it to run more smooth at the tailpipe. New carb, engine 125 lbs, new dist, copper wires, 437 plugs; Card main out 1 1/4 and small jet out 1/4,. Retarded the timing did not help so set timing back in center again. When idling very slow it will puff...
  14. D

    Carb setting

    I have the engine on my '49 8N Eng rebuilt, new dist, new carb etc. starting, running, no tappet noise and runs great under any load. When I idle very slow it drops one or puffs extra and setting the air jet about 1/4 open and the high rpm also puffs, and is open about 1 1/2. and going down...
  15. D

    8n sleeves crosshatch

    The only reason you would have to hone cyls is if you need more clearance. The factory finish is already in them. If the sleeves push in hard enough like .001 press fit, you may need more clearance .002 is good
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top