Blipping or puffing??

dnorum

Member
Still working on my 49 8n to see if I can get it to run more smooth at the tailpipe. New carb, engine 125 lbs, new dist, copper wires, 437 plugs;
Card main out 1 1/4 and small jet out 1/4,. Retarded the timing did not help so set timing back in center again. When idling very slow it will puff only once and a while, no bother. When 1000-2000 or more there is eractic blipping or puffing at the tailpipe?? when under a load there is no blipping. I realize it is a 60 year old system and may not run any better.
Thanks to all of you for all the help in the past,
Dnorum
 
I feel your pain . . . . . .. my 0wn '51 has exactly the same symptoms - starts and runs just fine. Pulls well and idles nicely, except for that occasional blip from the tail pipe. Like you, my plugs are new Autolites and wires are Motorcraft copper core. Cap and rotor - both Motorcrart - are also new, as is the entire distributor unit.

My own thinking on the matter is that my carb is old and in spite of the fact that all the jets have been replaced with new, somewhere in the idle circuit one cylinder might be running leaner than the others. Feels to me like richening the idle just a scotch would fix it, but it doesn't make any difference. I've played with the timing and cannot get rid of that occasional blip.

Local wisdom is welcomed here.

Thanks for your time.

Dave Erb
New Holland, PA
 
My blipping is more than a little and it does not seem like a miss. Oh and I forgot to say my plugs were black and sooty but #2 was not so black so I moved the carb main jet from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 open and made no difference yet?
 
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have been around engines all my life as an owner driver from little to big stuff and have found some that would spit at me if I were messing with it at leisure, just sitting there not working and then when I ask it to work and haul a load that sucker was as smooth as it could be. I am now owning and operating a Peterbilt with over 1 million miles own it and the only engine work has been to fix a broken rocker on the Jake Brake and adjust the valves during that event. It is a Detroit 485 HP set at 435 Hp with the governor set at 72 MPH. It is a 95 yr model and uses very little oil, gal esch 5-6000 miles so I don t need to add any between changes. I wonder if trying to make all well setting still without any torgue behing called for and everything being put to work is the best way to try to make them not spit at us so much of the time. Maybe a nice steady raincap which we don t have on the Fords is about as good as it gets going down the field on a 70 degree day. Just my elderly 0.02 Devious
 
Sounds like it is running way to rich. Have you checked and serviced the air cleaner??? It could well be clogged and that will cause you the same problem. Also make sure your points are set at 0.015 since you said it is a 49 it will have the front mount distributor
 
Thank for all of your answers.

I took air cleaner apart. replaced woolys etc. the black soot on the plugs seems like the carburator setting but adjusting it does not seem to help,
I have a tendency to think I have to have a load on engine something like at shows, those 1 lungers that smooth out when pulling. But your right I am running too rich. may have to take the carb apart again.But it idles so good low rpm 500 maybe?
 
dnorum.......an occasional blip at idle is kinda the result of MUFFLER design, rich idlemix, and low idle rpms. (400rpms)

You write......"My blipping is more than a little and it does not seem like a miss. Oh and I forgot to say my plugs were black and sooty but #2 was not so black so I moved the carb main jet from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 open and made no difference yet?"......well guess what??? black sooty plugs is rich IDLE adjust ...NOT... mainjet adjust.

I recommend 2-turns down pointing mainjet and LEAVITT!!! Yer running TOO LEAN and is causing missing at 1000-2000 rpms (yer other complaint) Too lean will burn yer exhaust valves. And you will have WHITE plugs. But you can NOT let yer engine idle or they will turn sooty black from rich idlemix.

Remember, yer side-pointing idlemix is BASSACKWARDS; out fer lean, IN fer ENRICH. Always adjust yer side-pointing idlemix for maximum idle rpms ...NOT... smoothest idle. Understand??? Then adjust the behind the carb idlespeed for incredibly sloooow 400rpms. (ennythang under 500 is good) Do that song'n'dance at least 3-times, adjusting for MAX idle speed. Understand???

Make certain you are NOT leaking at the manifold-exhaust joint. Use a long rubber hoze so you don't burn yer ear. .......dirty ears Dell
 
Is my rpm gauge from northern ($60.00) reading double rpms?? I just adjusted my side jet and ildle speed down to 810 rpm as it reads, seems like 400 rpm?,wrapped around a plug wire, and it was hardly running very slow and putted nice without blips Then I opened up the main jet to two turns and run for about 1/2 hour and am still getting blipping from 1500 to 2500. I drove it in 4th gear up a long hill and did not notice any hesitations or blipping So I think this is the best I can do.

Thanks for answering
 
IF the gauge is set up for an 8 cylinder engine, it will interpret 4 firing events as one turn.

To make 4 firing events, a 4 cylinder 4 cycle engine has to turn 2 turns.

(A typical 4-cycle engine fires ALL it's cylinders within every 2 crankshaft rotations.)

Another possible "fly in the ointment" would be if the tach is set up for "waste spark" ignition, which gives 2 electrical pulses for every actual firing event.
 
Lots of palaver over nothing . . .

Does anybody out there have an N that idles smoothly WITHOUT the occasional putt-putt out the tail pipe, or are we whippin' a dead puppy here?

If'n ya do, please give me yer recipe.

Thanks
Dave Erb
New Holland, PA
 
My '41 9n runs as good as I have ever seen,or better said,heard one run and still has an occasional poot from the pipe.That having been said,when working,it does not skip a beat and has lots of power and torque,what else does anyone want.An old lady told me one time,when I was doing some work at my sister's house and passing her house often,that my tractor sounded just like her husband's old tractor,when it wasn't old.---lha
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top