Recent content by DrAllis

  1. D

    D17 steering

    I can tear it apart and diagnose what it needs. I don't know for sure what is available for parts these days, but we can get something figured out. Call me at 319-360-4788 please.
  2. D

    D-19, D-17 Serial # question

    Well, now he knows where to look and it's in a different place on each tractor.
  3. D

    D-19, D-17 Serial # question

    LEFT side.....stamped in the casting....where the left side frame up bolts to the bell housing......just above the side frames end on an angle.....D-17-xxxx D-19 is stamped on top of the rear end behind the seat suspension. Not on the rear end cover lid but on top of the housing. D-19- xxxx
  4. D

    190 Allis key switch location of proper color on it

    5-post key switch is for a diesel tractor, which has a manifold heater position on the switch. I thought 1 or 2 of those posts were just a "double" post for a second place to connect to the same function ? With all wires disconnected on the back of the key switch, do the following. Find the...
  5. D

    190 Allis key switch location of proper color on it

    The key switch should have some letters scribed on it for each terminal. Heavy red wire from the ammeter to the "B" (battery) terminal on the key switch. This is constant 12 volts to the key switch. Heavy white wire from the push button starter switch to the key switch probably labeled "I" for...
  6. D

    D17 Series Four Three Point Linkage

    There should be zero. That adjustment bolt on the front left is used to keep the slack out of it and (as I suspicioned) everything is worn out from 60 years of use and probably very little grease on each end of the torsion bar when needed. In the end it hurts nothing. It just sees to it you have...
  7. D

    How do I prime an Allis-Chalmers 180 Hydraulic Pump?

    Disconnect one of the two larger hyd lines on the top of the pump. Squirt a couple of OUNCES of oil into that elbow fitting, which will take a few minutes. Reattach the steel line but leave it one turn loose from being tight. Fire up the engine to 1/3 throttle or so and when it primes shut...
  8. D

    Allis Chalmers “B” overhaul

    I never suggested using "partial choke" as a fix, but only to verify the lean mixture problem.
  9. D

    Allis Chalmers “B” overhaul

    If the internal main jet is truly too small (assuming everything else carb related is correct) you can correct how it runs by giving it some partial choke, correct ?? I've only had to do this one time, but I have an extensive drill bit assortment ( sizes A thru Z and 1 thru 80) and determined...
  10. D

    D17 Series Four Three Point Linkage

    Before you do that, what kind of shape is the torsion bar in??????? If you can grab the lower draft arms and pull/push them back and forth an inch or more, there's no need to get your linkage working. That much movement in the torsion bar means it is worn out and cannot function with Traction...
  11. D

    Allis C main bearing cap shims and I & T Shop Manual

    I thought a "shim stack" was .010". Each shim stack was FOUR .0025" shims glued together as one. You peeled them away one at a time to get shim thickness to where you wanted them. One "shim stack" per main bearing bolt/side.
  12. D

    Engine break-in oil

    You are correct. It is an early 1959 model. I guess I'd probably not run it more than 50 hrs or so, with the old filtering system. Not knowing how you intend to use the tractor, or where you live, I'd be thinking a good 10W-30 type oil to use, likely year around, instead of a straight 30 weight.
  13. D

    Engine break-in oil

    I'm surprised you were even able to find any non-detergent oil !! I dunno. I never used any break-in oil in the 50+ years I've overhauled those gas engines. Which age engine is it ?? full flow oiling system that used a Fram PH8A style filter?? Or the old bypass cotton string filter like a WC and...
  14. D

    D17 steering

    Two inches at the end where the tie rods connect?? That is kind of normal for those old tractors. I'm more concerned that the swing arm is getting pinched so it cannot swing side to side when you put all the tractors weight on it. How much up/down is there in that axle pivot pin area and its...
  15. D

    7020 seat

    I know it's been done, but I haven't. There were two seats/seat suspensions for that age tractor. The standard seat had a suspension similar to a 180-190-200 tractor that was pretty good overall. The cushions were vinyl or cloth and black. The optional seat had a fancier seat cushion multi...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top