D17 steering

Lketchem

New User
Hello, I have a 63 D17 serial # 21368
Wide front end. Steering has all but locked up.
1) I drained the p/s unit and replace fluid 5 quarts.
2). Let it idle for a long while.
Cracked some lines open, damn sure had pressure at the pump ( up by the distributor)
3) still no help,
4) raised the front end up off the ground and I can steer, not the greatest but still moves
 
Read completely thru a previous post down below yours from Termite. Sounds like maybe yours isn't a pump problem if it is moving oil. Was it OK fine and suddenly quit having power assist ?? It's either steering control valve related or a sheared pin on the rams rack. Read Termites full post.
 
Upvote 0
For lack of the technical term.
The pitman arm that attaches to the steering unit / tie rods, has vertical play probably 1/2 " travel. Took a video but was to large to send...
 
Upvote 0
Two inches at the end where the tie rods connect?? That is kind of normal for those old tractors. I'm more concerned that the swing arm is getting pinched so it cannot swing side to side when you put all the tractors weight on it. How much up/down is there in that axle pivot pin area and its socket ahead of the swing arm ??
 
Upvote 0
I started out with new fluid , looking for fluid flowing in the reservoir. Next step, in line PSI check . But wait ...we are Puking fluid fluid out reservoir , bubbles, cavitation in the motor oil.
I've pulled the pump off the tractor
Looking for a trusted individual who would like to rebuild this for me.
Would anyone among us know anyone?
Got keep sputnIck going
59 series one D17.
 
Upvote 0
I can tear it apart and diagnose what it needs. I don't know for sure what is available for parts these days, but we can get something figured out. Call me at 319-360-4788 please.
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top