Recent content by Fuddy Duddy

  1. F

    What color to paint Frankenstein?

    Thanks for the reply. I have about decided to go with the 4000. Yes the 4000 tin is in better shape. I do like the look of the 801s. But I guess the more modern look is more desirable. You see that when you see 9Ns painted blue. I seen a nice 801 for sale that had been completely gone though...
  2. F

    What kind of transmission is in there?

    That picture is seller provided. Only one of that side given. I think you are right. I was hoping for a Howard. Not worth a 300 mile round trip
  3. F

    What kind of transmission is in there?

    You may be right. But it looks like the Hupp is farther forward than this one. This one looks to be almost inline with the shifter
  4. F

    What color to paint Frankenstein?

    Got what I call an 861 since it is stamped 861 on the transmission. But everything forward of the transmission is a 4000. My guess is the SOS transmission went out and they had or found a 861 with a bad engine. Took the two and made one. The tin that came on it says 4000 and that what the guy...
  5. F

    What kind of transmission is in there?

    This is what’s left of an 8N side mount that what painted blue I see a lever on the transmission. What kind of transmission is in there?
  6. F

    Head condition

    I'll take something better than money. I'll take plastic. LOL. They said $140 each. But that's with no problems. What ever it cost at least I'll know it was fixed right. It's been a good running engine. But had I done nothing I think that was soon to come to an end. I'll take the caps.
  7. F

    Head condition

    I pulled that rear valve and seen the crack in the seat and I guess I quit looking. Then see what I seen the second look. Hope no the head doesn’t turn out to be junk. The other 172 I’m working on goes to my rock crusher. If I have to I can put it on my tractor. The tractor is more important. I...
  8. F

    Head condition

    Hey Hobo. Haven’t talked to you in a long time. Hope you are doing well. You’re right. The seat is cracked. Looks like I’m going to Springfield. It’s a 100 mile trip that takes all day. LOL. That’s because my wife will be going with me. She likes to go. She’ll hit all the stores while we are...
  9. F

    Head condition

    I went ahead and popped the valves out. That white valve has a couple little spots that look like it’s starting to go bad. The seat has a shiny spot on it too. Think lapping would take that out? Called the machine shop. They said it should cost around $280 to do both heads. If I’m going to go...
  10. F

    Head condition

    That's water. Or more correctly 'sweat'. #3 does have a little pitting on the piston. But not too bad. That's where the gasket was leaking.
  11. F

    Head condition

    I thought that's what it was. Thing was, I was only seeing one. I got my magnet and swept around and found the other three. I've got the head off on my other 172. I didn't remember seeing any. So I walked down there to where it is at and found they're all four still on the heard. If I find it...
  12. F

    Head condition

    Level it up and fill it over the valves in a way I can tell which valve has the gas coming though if any is what you are saying?
  13. F

    Head condition

    I had the head upside down cleaning it up and seen this on the ground. I have no idea where it came from. Looks important. What is it?
  14. F

    Head condition

    Pulled the head off my '58 Ford 861 to replace the head gasket. It was running fine. Just seeping a little coolant. Been doing so for years. I ordered parts for another 172 and for my 8N and figured I would go head and get a gasket for it too. A week after the gasket came in the steering box...
  15. F

    Ring spring

    I’m not a mechanic by any means. But I have rebuilt my share of engines. Run across this on a ‘56 Ford 172 industrial engine. Never seen it before. Behind the second compression rings are these springy things. Looking at ordering new rings I don’t see where these are included. Should I put these...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top