Recent content by JP D17

  1. J

    Engine break-in oil

    Having not overhauled one of these before, I much appreciate all your insights & advice. The PennGrade oil is supposed to be good stuff; glad I stumbled across it. It is an Iowa tractor. I’m going to work it / beak-in by mowing pasture.
  2. J

    Engine break-in oil

    JLMac - you’re right … I forgot that while I was out looking for a non-detergent oil for break-in that I came across this oil and decided on it for the higher level of zinc properties. Thanks for helping get re-aligned 👍. Any guidance on how many hrs to run this as a break-in oil?
  3. J

    Engine break-in oil

    I’m pretty sure it is a 1959, series 1. Pics of the engine block s/n, as well as the torque housing s/n
  4. J

    Engine break-in oil

    It took a bit of hunting around to find the non-detergent oil. Here are pics of the oil, the filter, and the old style filter mount on the side of the engine. Other than the oil itself, the other two pics are of the filter & mount during the disassembly process.
  5. J

    Engine break-in oil

    I overhauled my D17 (gas). I put in 30wt non-detergent oil for break-in purposes. My question is how many hours should I run it before draining and putting in normal Oil? Thanks you
  6. J

    D17 226 cylinder sleeve

    Thank you Fritz for the link. Yesterday evening after what I thought was an exhaustive 3-day scrounging of the interweb for new 4” sleeves, I ordered a 4.125” sleeve & piston kit for an AC170 to up the compression. I got this idea after reviewing the removed pistons and guessing they might be...
  7. J

    D17 226 cylinder sleeve

    Good + important reminder — thank you!
  8. J

    D17 226 cylinder sleeve

    Hello AC fans. I am in process of rebuilding my D17 226” gas engine, & have never done this before. I have a couple scenarios w/ associated questions I hope you might help with. 1) Yesterday I pulled all the cylinder sleeves b/c of pitting in #2 & #3, planning to put in all new sleeves. I...
  9. J

    D17 intake valve spring retainer (gas, 226 cu in)

    Thanks for the info — they’re gonna make up the difference via shipping = $15. Lol!!
  10. J

    D17 intake valve spring retainer (gas, 226 cu in)

    Thanks Doc for the p/n; I’ll get 4 of them for just over a buck and it’ll be just under $17 w/ shipping!
  11. J

    D17 intake valve spring retainer (gas, 226 cu in)

    Hi all. A broken intake valve spring looks to have taken part of the shoulder off of its associated intake valve spring retainer (cup). No pic to include, sorry. This particular piece looks like a large area steel washer with a short shoulder around the outside edge (this piece goes on the...
  12. J

    D17 governor issue?

    Has anyone else opened up an AGCO 70240912 oil filter? During this journey through my governor “event”, I open the oil filter to see if any metal particulates were captured there and was surprised by what I found; I was expecting more traditional accordion-style filtering media -vs- what the...
  13. J

    D17 governor issue?

    Update: The good, the bad, and the ugly! A couple days ago, I disassembled the front end, pulled the timing cover off and retrieved the last known remaining chunk of weight (pic), and was pleased to not find more “shrapnel” (I attribute this to having utilized a homemade tiny hose to vacuum...
  14. J

    D17 governor issue?

    I got a good number of bits & pieces out. Rigged a small set of various flexible tubing to make a vacuum (like during the dentist visit) and removed a good number of smalls. The pic with the piece circled in red is the last one, but it is wedged/jammed/worn into its current position and can’t...
  15. J

    D17 governor issue?

    Brian, your experience finding the “shrapnel” is encouraging, and I’m a fan of the innovative one-of tools. It’ll be another 10-12 days before I can get the in-depth search going inside my engine. I’ll report back 👍
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top