Recent content by miangus

  1. M

    Ignition coil with or without external resistor?

    On my 4020 gas I use an addition 4 post solenoid. Bond the starter solenoid start terminal to the cable post. The start wire from the push button or ignition now goes to the added solenoid. The 4 post solenoid, has a terminal to provide by-pass starting, connect it to the coil. The primary...
  2. M

    92 chev alternator

    I rebuilt a few using an inexpensive kit. The kit came with a new bearing, a set of brushes, and a new regulator. Same procedure as rebuilding the earlier model. That vintage seemed to be hard on bearings; you could nurse them along by injecting lube.
  3. M

    My 180 is about done

    That is one good looking tractor. Congratulations. Enjoy. It is hard to recall but at one time in this area the 180 was a serious tillage tractor. My first wife's grandfather had one and it was his big tractor.
  4. M

    IH 656 crank, no start. Wits end.

    Maybe it jumped timing. Does it run just giving it a light shot of starting fluid. Is the pre-heat system working correctly.
  5. M

    Skid steer adapter on ih 574

    Looks like you could just buy a blank skid steer adaptor from Titan and have your existing brackets welded to it after a little clean up. Then buy your choice of skid steer buckets. You can weld a skid steer plate to your existing bucket for times when you need the wide bucket.
  6. M

    Not a hydraulics expert

    I can remember when an M was a big tractor. The first big tractor in our neighborhood was an 806 Diesel. The neighbor pulled 6 bottoms with it. When my dad and grandfather bought a new John Deere 3020 diesel power shift in 64 the neighbors said they had lost their mind, it was too big. They...
  7. M

    4010 24V SYSTEM

    As usual following TX Jims advice will be your bet for trouble free operation.
  8. M

    Deere 3020 Gas wiring

    I was very confused by the wiring on my 1965 gas 4020 until I realized the wiring harness was the same as the diesel except for a few modifications. That is why the light switch connections are so interesting. There is an A & B circuit. I would try to get a starter larger than the stock one...
  9. M

    Another 1943 John Deere B update

    Like, I had an early styled B hand start cut-offs with a generator because it was shipped with lights. Wish I hadn't sold that one.
  10. M

    4010 24V SYSTEM

    I like the 24-volt system. I think the tractors start better. I find keeping a small maintainer battery charger on the right-side battery on my 24-volt 3020 helps when letting it set for long periods. I know time to clean the starter housing again. The original fuel gauge cannot be made to...
  11. M

    Not a hydraulics expert

    Yes, assuming the tractor in question has live hydraulics, I believe most/all Super MTAs did. My 400 has live remote hydraulics and power steering run off the live pump. There is some kind of allocation valve required in the system. There are other ways to add power steering which use a...
  12. M

    Priming Injector Pump

    My uncle had an old 5-yard dump truck with a Detroit. Occasionally it would just quit, air up the saddle tank and it would fire right back up. No air no start. I always tell people with a Perkins you need to get diesel on your pants before they bleed, never thought about the dog, but I...
  13. M

    "Air Cannon" equivalent for small tires.

    I have been using the recapper chucks for years, a couple of bucks on Amazon. They allow you to put air directly into a tire without the valve in the stem. If you ask at most auto parts places they don't have a clue. Another handy item that I use is the one-man brake bleeder screws. The...
  14. M

    MF-245 Oil blow by...

    I do not believe the filler cap is where the crankcase is vented. On my 65s with the 203 Perkins the cap is a tight seal.
  15. M

    Deer hunting advice.

    Sign or move on your choice. I understand why, a friend gave a guy permission to cut firewood on her property, a bunch of dead ash. He injured his back cutting firewood for his use and sued her.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top