Recent content by NY 986

  1. N

    White 2-105 original price when new

    The White dealer most likely offered a very substantial discount. I worked with a daughter of an area JD dealer during the early 1990's. She told me as a rule of thumb dealer cost was typically 2/3 of list price. How much a dealer wanted to sell for was up to them but if close to cost got...
  2. N

    Land Rent

    Not that I have ever been a part of it but I have always suspected there is quite a bit of rent going under the table. Always seemed to be quite a few people "very happy" getting half of the area market rate. Is the buddy seat in the tenant's tractor or combine that comfortable? Just within...
  3. N

    Land Rent

    The friendship between your dad and the neighbor might have been special even if it was not obvious to anybody else. In my own life no family members have an interest in farming and in particular tractors but a couple of non-farming friends do. That might have been the case with the neighbor...
  4. N

    White 2-105 original price when new

    Tractor Data is not without flaws. For a comparison I looked up a JD 4230 from a 1974 JD price list I have. Tractor with SGB cab, 16 speed QR, AC & heat, with two remotes was around 15,250 dollars. With inflation the way it was then a 1975 4230 most likely was 1,000 dollars more so 17,000...
  5. N

    JD 4020 diesel

    That option started with serial number 119000 or the start of the 1966 model year.
  6. N

    JD 4020 diesel

    Large injectors versus pencil injectors would make it a 1964. Pencil injectors would narrow it down to 65-68. The problem is that around 60 years after being manufactured there is a greater chance of non-original parts being on the tractor.
  7. N

    I H 660parts

    I would not bank on any new old stock parts for any 60 plus year old tractor so I would not advise a plan to buy a tractor under that premise. Even tractors made during the 1970's are getting to be quite iffy in terms of new parts depending on the model and individual part in question.
  8. N

    Tillage tractor recommendations

    California's production is spread over a much greater area than NY. While NY has several areas noted for cabbage production it is thought that most of it is grown in the Finger Lakes region. Counties include Onondaga, Cayuga, Ontario, Yates, Livingston, and Monroe. Probably some in Wayne...
  9. N

    Tillage tractor recommendations

    On ground typically used to grow vegetables the pulling load is lighter because the soil is typically lighter. A 656 would usually pull a 4 bottom plow but with a 3 bottom plow the load will be 75 percent of the 4 bottom or 25 percent less which is in line with your 30 percent. My...
  10. N

    Tillage tractor recommendations

    Judging by the responses here I don't think most understand how slow a tractor has to go when it is pulling a transplanter for cabbage. First gear in a 16 speed transmission at low throttle is fairly brisk especially when the help is not overly skilled (quick) at dropping cabbage plants. I...
  11. N

    Tillage tractor recommendations

    IH 656 hydro would cover the slow ground speed needed for transplanting and a 3 bottom plow should not be over taxing the transmission.
  12. N

    34 inch rear rim

    If Greenlight had a used rim it would be 237.50 and would be close enough to home that the cost to transport it would be very small and I would have the benefit of looking it over before I bought it. Even though the calcium has been out of that tire for quite a long time extensive rusting...
  13. N

    34 inch rear rim

    Yep, and they tell me those do not come in very often. For the moment I will play the waiting game with Greenlight Products.
  14. N

    34 inch rear rim

    No chance the parts yard rim gets weighed until it gets sold so no help there. That aside it is still on whatever tractor it is mounted. As to new most retailers will rely on whatever the catalog says for weight not allowing for a change in vendor or inaccurate weight altogether. The tire...
  15. N

    34 inch rear rim

    Any difference in terms of quality on the aftermarket rims versus OEM? Parts yard wants 400 dollars before shipping on what they say is OEM used and locally I can get one for 475 dollars new picked up at their shop.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top