Recent content by olddavid

  1. olddavid

    Got a starter problem with my 8n

    Positive or negative ground? Looks like it may be positive ground. Did you get the right solenoid? Do you still have the original? I would consider putting it back on and trying it.
  2. olddavid

    Got a starter problem with my 8n

    I gather you didn't mean "farmerized" in a good way. 🫤
  3. olddavid

    "Air Cannon" equivalent for small tires.

    For passenger car tires I used to use a length of rope around the center of the tread and put the tire iron in the loop and twist it tight. It helped some. The tie down strap will also help. The 2x4 trick helps especially on new tires. It's still a fight somethimes.
  4. olddavid

    "Air Cannon" equivalent for small tires.

    I have fought those before and at least once gave up and got an inner tube for it. The small ones are difficult. Pulling the Schrader guts out of the valve will sometimes help. And of course, dish soap on the beads.
  5. olddavid

    Resistor

    If you already have a 12 volt coil that does require a ballast resistor they are available for older model cars with point ignition. Chrysler had an external one but I'm not sure the ones for electronic ignition will work. I changed a Chrysler 5th Avenue over to point ignition and it seems...
  6. olddavid

    Allis Chalmers “B” overhaul

    Leaking intake manifold gasket?
  7. olddavid

    Whatzit? (cord from auction)

    The cable is regular unshielded 18/4 wire electrical wire, so I doubt it's used in audio applications. Only 4 pins are likely used since it's 4 wire cable.
  8. olddavid

    TO-20 important gas tank question

    That's also how some Ferguson and Ford tractors get a "reserve". It draws from the standpipe and when the level drops below that, opening the valve farther opens a lower tube to the sediment bowl to get the rest of the tank.
  9. olddavid

    Attention Stolen Tractor!

    Not just today. Approximately 55 years ago we had a Ferguson TE-20 left out in the field due to some problem. When we returned to get it running, we discovered someone had been into it trying to steal it. Evidently (and fortunately for us) they couldn't get it running and/or had no means to...
  10. olddavid

    TO-20 important gas tank question

    Seems like a good idea but I may have come to a different conclusion. With the standpipe that stuff settles to the bottom of the tank along with any water that gets in there. Maybe it's better to let that stuff fall into the sediment bowl so you can get it out of the tank. Most sediment bowls...
  11. olddavid

    Couple of Unrelated Things.....

    I have a Canon TS3120 printer and I mistakenly bought a pair of non-Canon ink cartridges. The black one never worked and the color one did for a while, but I guess it finally figured out that cartridges weren't Canon and it quit working as well. New official Canon cartridges took care of the...
  12. olddavid

    Vom recommendations

    The Fluke is still digital with the same delay in reading as any digital meter. I personally never found the analog bar graph very helpful. I like the instant response of an analog meter and the fact that if the voltage is cycling it will show it. It also forces you to choose the correct...
  13. olddavid

    Plastic Oil Pan

    The new Chevy Trailblazer and Trax 3 cylinders have plastic oil pans. I believe they have a bayonet twist in plug with "O" ring seals. We just got one (Trailblazer) but I haven't looked at the drain plug, yet.
  14. olddavid

    Best way to cut lead

    At work we used to cut up bars of 63/37 solder with a band saw. The blade teeth were always running down and I don't recall any dust, just tiny pieces of solder.
  15. olddavid

    6V vs 12V problems tally sheet

    Agreed. There are a lot of analog electronics such as vacuum tubes, transistors, even some ICs are analog such as op amps and etc. There are even analog computers.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top