Recent content by Winston001

  1. W

    1984 Massey Ferguson 295 - rear axle lock does not release?

    Its late summer in the Southern Hemisphere so the sun is shining but we get down to C-6 in the winter and this place is ski destination. I could put a needle nozzle on the grease gun and try to inject past the rubber ring. Or try to insert an oilcan spout into it. The tractor is only used...
  2. W

    1984 Massey Ferguson 295 - rear axle lock does not release?

    I asked my question out of last minute frustration and didn't expect the wonderful replies. I live near Queenstown New Zealand which is a beautiful place with alpine mountains and lakes. Like Jasper. Visitors from around the world which means mechanics are only with big car brands. No tractor...
  3. W

    1984 Massey Ferguson 295 - rear axle lock does not release?

    Thank you thank you to MF and Ray for your kindness and knowledge. I live in New Zealand where older tractors are mainly Ferguson, David Brown, and Ford (Fordson). Allis Chalmers of course. Importantly the advice given helped me to fix the problem when I had already given up. More...
  4. W

    1984 Massey Ferguson 295 - rear axle lock does not release?

    Photos of pedal from the front, the rear, and underneath although its difficult to see much in this shot.
  5. W

    1984 Massey Ferguson 295 - rear axle lock does not release?

    Hello, my Massey Ferguson 295 has a diff lock pedal on the right hand and which I used for the first time a few days ago. I expected the pedal to jump up after reversing and driving forward. No such luck. Our daughter scuffed gravel in the driveway later laughing about ploughing it up. The...
  6. W

    Problem with tractor replacement seat for MF 295

    An excellent update. The seat now moves freely with no problems because I did not free the locking pin. It is on a spring loaded arm under the seat and the arm only lifted it half an inch which appeared to be enough. Wrong. The pin is closer to an inch/25mm long and must be lifted high. Then the...
  7. W

    Problem with tractor replacement seat for MF 295

    Thank you guys. It took three days of pondering about the best tools and hours of tinkering to get the bloody seat off. Which happened a few minutes ago. Even then the seat would not move despite pulling up the lever. In frustration I bumped it on a table and suddenly it moved. Success. No...
  8. W

    Problem with tractor replacement seat for MF 295

    Hello, I have previously been helped by you kind people with the 1984 MF 295 purchased a few months ago. The previous owner put on a brand new replacement seat for me which I appreciated. However I cannot get the seat to move back and my knees are up against the steering wheel. It was fine but...
  9. W

    Barn find ?990? - What is it? Upgrade Options, High Clearance and power steering?

    Dad bought our 990 new in 1971 and it looks like this. The only exception is ours has power steering which was handy because Dad had a Begg loader put on the tractor shortly after buying it. This 990 is sitting in my garage today in Central Otago.
  10. W

    Bought a 1984 MF 295 but cannot find much information. Is there a similar model which is better known?

    Hell Jim and wise people. My apologies for being silent, an old friend passed away and another friend is deathly ill. We all thougt we were immortal. The good news is the mechanic spent a couple of hours pulling levers, disconnecting hoses, and listening. He worked out the correct position for...
  11. W

    Bought a 1984 MF 295 but cannot find much information. Is there a similar model which is better known?

    Update time. I have contacted a tractor mechanic an hour away and he will check out the 295 this weekend. Hopefully he can understand the hydraulics and recommend the fixes. From your advice it looks like the connector block under the seat is crucial. Cheers Winston
  12. W

    Bought a 1984 MF 295 but cannot find much information. Is there a similar model which is better known?

    I live in Central Otago which is a province in the South Island of New Zealand. This is an alpine climate with lakes, mountains, pretty and dry. Lot of tourists although peaceful outside the holidays and skiing. Like Jasper without the trees. The bottom of the South Island is in the Roaring...
  13. W

    Bought a 1984 MF 295 but cannot find much information. Is there a similar model which is better known?

    Jim, please be assured I am very cautious around the PTO, too many stories of people having clothing grabbed and losing an arm or death. I didn't really grab it, instead I had a friend with me and cautiously pressed my hand discovering it slowed turning and then stopped. Thanks for the video...
  14. W

    Bought a 1984 MF 295 but cannot find much information. Is there a similar model which is better known?

    One piece of good news - I stopped the PTO turning. My brother-in-law suggested it might be dragging from cold oil in the rear axle. This afternoon with the tractor running I grabbed the PTO and it stopped. Nice to have a win. I experimented with the 3 point levers, setting the inside up high...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top