Farmall 706 won't move lost steering.

farmalldave

New User
Hello I have a 706 farmall that worked several days ago. I had power steering it shifted everything was just fine. I parked the tractor after doing some field work. I try to move it back to the barn and notice no steering the steering wheel will build pressure. The more I turn the steering wheel it gets harder to turn the steering wheel. The wheel only turns a little not enough to drive it. I go to put it in gear and notice I was able to shift into high low neutral and reverse while engine was running. I removed the shifting top plate and found the shift assembly was broke and was missing some roller cams and a spring that attached to shift assembly. The hinge pin that goes through the shift pivot rod that connects to the cam was sheered off. I ordered the parts needed built it back installed it just to be disappointed again. This time I can't freely go through high low neutral and reverse tractor does not move. The new parts fixed the shifting issue but it still won't move. I would appreciate some expert advice on what to do next. Thanks

Well i think you either lost the clutch , or ya may have lost the rear end , not being there i can not say for sure . Loss of steering welp that could be the Splined hub in the presssure plate along with the IDPTO input shaft is toast , you did not say if the PTO worked or not nor if you still have 3 point/ fast hitch
. Now IF the low side sprag in the T/A was good the tractor will dive even with out steering , brakes and three point . Now it is not to often that the main input shaft coming out of the clutch going into the T/A twist off BUT i have seen two do this and one was on a 766 gas . Myself on a 706 i would go with clutch and IDPTO . So you will need a clutch disc and Pressure plate , throw out bearing and pilot bearing , one IDPTO input shaft and new bearing and the two seals and O/ Ring . You will need to take the flywheel in to a machine shop and have it reground and the step recut . When going back together place the pressure plate on the IDPTO input shaft then place the clutch disc on the main input shaft and slide the tractor back together don't force it . once ya have the frame bolts in ya go up thru the inspection cover hole and now you bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel just remember to remove the shipping blocks out of the pressure plate as you tighten up the six bolts.

When you go through the gears can you actually FEEL anything happening? Should be a slight clash as the gears engage and detents for each gear position. Just because you put in new parts does not mean you got it back together right.

How are the brakes? Steering, brakes and TA run off the same hydraulic system so if you have no steering or brakes you would also have no TA, and no drive in direct.

The fact that you have lost TA and steering, and probably brakes, indicates that it is probably NOT the transmission input shaft.

As tractor vet says, if the low side of the TA is good it SHOULD drive mechanically as if the TA lever is back regardless of the TA lever's actual position.

Check your hydraulic remotes. Just pull a lever back and listen for a grunt from the engine and some hydraulic noises from under the seat Do they work? If they don't work, it's probably the IPTO splines in the pressure plate. That requires a split.

When you go through the gears can you actually FEEL anything happening? Should be a slight clash as the gears engage and detents for each gear position. Just because you put in new parts does not mean you got it back together right.

How are the brakes? Steering, brakes and TA run off the same hydraulic system so if you have no steering or brakes you would also have no TA, and no drive in direct.

The fact that you have lost TA and steering, and probably brakes, indicates that it is probably NOT the transmission input shaft.

As tractor vet says, if the low side of the TA is good it SHOULD drive mechanically as if the TA lever is back regardless of the TA lever's actual position.

Check your hydraulic remotes. Just pull a lever back and listen for a grunt from the engine and some hydraulic noises from under the seat Do they work? If they don't work, it's probably the IPTO splines in the pressure plate. That requires a split.
I tested the hydraulic levers and the engine grunted down like it should. What could be the problem do you think. I did notice this problem with the hi- low shifting fork I'll post a pic. Could this cause the tractor to not be moving.

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_145521579_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240226_145521579_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Well i think you either lost the clutch , or ya may have lost the rear end , not being there i can not say for sure . Loss of steering welp that could be the Splined hub in the presssure plate along with the IDPTO input shaft is toast , you did not say if the PTO worked or not nor if you still have 3 point/ fast hitch
. Now IF the low side sprag in the T/A was good the tractor will dive even with out steering , brakes and three point . Now it is not to often that the main input shaft coming out of the clutch going into the T/A twist off BUT i have seen two do this and one was on a 766 gas . Myself on a 706 i would go with clutch and IDPTO . So you will need a clutch disc and Pressure plate , throw out bearing and pilot bearing , one IDPTO input shaft and new bearing and the two seals and O/ Ring . You will need to take the flywheel in to a machine shop and have it reground and the step recut . When going back together place the pressure plate on the IDPTO input shaft then place the clutch disc on the main input shaft and slide the tractor back together don't force it . once ya have the frame bolts in ya go up thru the inspection cover hole and now you bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel just remember to remove the shipping blocks out of the pressure plate as you tighten up the six bolts.
I am glad to see TV still on the job.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back