47G losing oil

GreenDannie

New User
47 John Deere G, losing crankcase oil but not leaking out. The engine hasn’t run in years.
Any ideas where it is going?

First thought is a bad right hand main bearing, worn, loose, dumping engine oil into the first reduction gear housing.. Is your transmission oil level over full???

Or the oil return hole in the main case for the RH main bearing could be plugged and therefore filling up the first reduction gear cover and transmission. Like Jim said check the transmission oil level.

Both of the above responses are possible, but he says it hasn't run in years!!! The oil would not leak through the bearing, as it does not fill to that level.

Transmission oil check?? Stand at draw-bar, at bottom , right side of rocker-arm housing, inch wide square plug JD part no.-15H240R, take out, oil should be up to the bottom of threads??

Are you loosing engine oil with the tractor just sitting there all those years or is it from the tractor running????

Are you loosing engine oil with the tractor just sitting there all those years or is it from the tractor running????
It’s not running I drained the oil and put some Diesel fuel in and let it sit for about a week and pulled the plug and nothing, dry..

It’s not running I drained the oil and put some Diesel fuel in and let it sit for about a week and pulled the plug and nothing, dry..
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but are you certain you poured the diesel fuel into the crankcase and not the transmission? I'm reminded of a co-worker at a service station many years ago who complained about the manual transmission of his car was becoming harder to shift. We put his car up on the hoist and discovered his transmission was completely dry. Turned out he mistakenly thought the transmission drain plug was the crankcase drain plug, so he drained the transmission, replaced the plug, and then poured four quarts of oil into the engine- never bothered to check his engine oil level, which was way overfilled, of course....

First thought is a bad right hand main bearing, worn, loose, dumping engine oil into the first reduction gear housing.. Is your transmission oil level over full???
No access from the reduction cover to the transmission for the oil to get in there unless there is a hole in the case somewhere.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but are you certain you poured the diesel fuel into the crankcase and not the transmission? I'm reminded of a co-worker at a service station many years ago who complained about the manual transmission of his car was becoming harder to shift. We put his car up on the hoist and discovered his transmission was completely dry. Turned out he mistakenly thought the transmission drain plug was the crankcase drain plug, so he drained the transmission, replaced the plug, and then poured four quarts of oil into the engine- never bothered to check his engine oil level, which was way overfilled, of course....
Yes

No access from the reduction cover to the transmission for the oil to get in there unless there is a hole in the case somewhere.
That’s what I’m afraid of maybe a crack in the adjoining wall? I will have to remove the crankcase cover and check

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back