Anti freeze in the pan

Wood525

New User
Hello, good morning,
Just acquired a 48 TE20. Hasn’t run in 20 plus.
I pulled the oil plug and out came about 6 ounces of brand new looking anti freeze… and nothing else!
I’m sure this isn’t much of a head scratcher but any thoughts or comments about this?
Thanks!

If there was ONLY new antifreeze and no oil, it could be the result of a stupid, that wasn't caught in time. Someone went to change the oil, and service the cooling system and poured a few oz of antifreeze in the wrong place. Maybe you'll find some 30 wt in the radiator! lolz.

There's a block drain on the right side of the engine. Drain everything from the rad, and the block. Blow a little air up into that drain so you get everything out. Close the drain, close the rad drain, check the clamps on the hoses, and fill it with water, no antifreeze just water. Put the oil pan plug back in and let the tractor sit for a few days. Check the level of the water in the rad, and then undo the oil pan drain bolt again, see if you get water come out of the pan. If yes, it's likely a head gasket gone bad, warped head, or a sleeve in the block that has a leak.

If no water came out, put oil in the tractor, some fresh gas, and try to get it started. The carb will almost surely need attention after that long sitting. At minimum a good cleaning, and at max a rebuild kit. Also be aware of likely rust in the fuel tank. If you can rig up a temp fuel supply, not from the tractor tank, that would be best to test fire with clean gas from a clean alt tank.

Hello, good morning,
Just acquired a 48 TE20. Hasn’t run in 20 plus.
I pulled the oil plug and out came about 6 ounces of brand new looking anti freeze… and nothing else!
I’m sure this isn’t much of a head scratcher but any thoughts or comments about this?
Thanks!
Make / Manufacture of the Engine?
Continental..?
Standard? (Made in England)
"IF" a Standard Engine.....These Engines have FREE STANDING WET LINERS, with a Siamese gasket that seals the coolant from the Engine Crankcase.
IF, these gaskets, have been disturbed for any reason...Coolant shall leak into the crankcase.
IF, your engine is a STANDARD Engine,under NO circumstances should the crankshaft be rotated with the HEAD REMOVED,until hard wear is attached to prevent the LINERS from moving.
You may have purchased a machine that is suffering from Previous owner syndrome.

Attachments

• TEA-20 ENGINE S# 251639 021.jpg
    TEA-20 ENGINE S# 251639 021.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • a260568.jpg
    a260568.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
  • a260570.jpg
    a260570.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
If there was ONLY new antifreeze and no oil, it could be the result of a stupid, that wasn't caught in time. Someone went to change the oil, and service the cooling system and poured a few oz of antifreeze in the wrong place. Maybe you'll find some 30 wt in the radiator! lolz.

There's a block drain on the right side of the engine. Drain everything from the rad, and the block. Blow a little air up into that drain so you get everything out. Close the drain, close the rad drain, check the clamps on the hoses, and fill it with water, no antifreeze just water. Put the oil pan plug back in and let the tractor sit for a few days. Check the level of the water in the rad, and then undo the oil pan drain bolt again, see if you get water come out of the pan. If yes, it's likely a head gasket gone bad, warped head, or a sleeve in the block that has a leak.

If no water came out, put oil in the tractor, some fresh gas, and try to get it started. The carb will almost surely need attention after that long sitting. At minimum a good cleaning, and at max a rebuild kit. Also be aware of likely rust in the fuel tank. If you can rig up a temp fuel supply, not from the tractor tank, that would be best to test fire with clean gas from a clean alt tank.

Thanks Doc, I will certainly try these recommendations! Yeah, I’m better at motorcycle engines. Tractors are new to me!

Make / Manufacture of the Engine?
Continental..?
Standard? (Made in England)
"IF" a Standard Engine.....These Engines have FREE STANDING WET LINERS, with a Siamese gasket that seals the coolant from the Engine Crankcase.
IF, these gaskets, have been disturbed for any reason...Coolant shall leak into the crankcase.
IF, your engine is a STANDARD Engine,under NO circumstances should the crankshaft be rotated with the HEAD REMOVED,until hard wear is attached to prevent the LINERS from moving.
You may have purchased a machine that is suffering from Previous owner syndrome.
Hi, yeah it’s a TE20, continental z120. Made in England as far as I know.

Attachments

• IMG_8366.jpeg
    IMG_8366.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8364.jpeg
    IMG_8364.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back