sealer for metal

I am looking for a sealer or caulk that I can use on the removable metal floorboards on an antique car. Something that I can take floorboards out again sometime. thanks

Look for joint sealer from a body shop supply company. It is a soft, oil-based material in strips. Non-hardening.

I am looking for a sealer or caulk that I can use on the removable metal floorboards on an antique car. Something that I can take floorboards out again sometime. thanks
Always used some variation of this on Land Rover floor panels.
1000003790.jpg

ANother option is windshield adheasive. it has to be cut out, but it stays pliable. (installers do it every day). Jim

The strip caulk and windshield sealant will stick too good. you might distort the panel.
There's a peel able caulk for construction use that's made to remove easy.

A mastic tape like they use on steel roof joints would work well it is also used on grain bin sheet seems when erected . Lumberyard or bin sales outfit can get it for you if they don't have any. bin sheets will come apart after 40-50 years fairly easy when unbolted.

I used butyl seam sealer on my antique roadster. it comes in 10 inch long 1/4 diam. strings and it never hardens. I use it for various other applications like on the tip of a screrwdriver to hold a screw.

I've used a couple different things for something like that. One is "dum dum", a non-hardening sealer that comes in a block or in strips. It will stick to and seal the two components together. Another thing I've done is to put down a bead of rtv silicone, then cover the rtv with a piece of Saran Wrap. Install the piece you want to seal but don't tighten it down real tight. Let the rtv set up. The saran wrap will keep it from sticking to the panel and when things are tightened down it will be a leak proof seal. Also gutter caulk will seal without setting up hard.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back