1000 rpm PTO question

K Effective

I'm casually looking at a JD 6140D that sports a 1000 rpm PTO. I see no indiction that this can be switched to 540: no spare shaft storage in the rear, no obvious way to easily remove the current shaft, no indication in the cab to swap...

Are there single-speed PTO tractors in this model, and if so, is it reasonably possible to swap to 540, or and expensive ordeal if even a possibility?

I have only one implement that could be converted to 1K- my MOCO, which would be the main purpose of this tractor. This unit might replace my open station 4430 from the mower and, with a loader, replace my 5400 at the same time!

I don't know much about a 6140D, but some Deere tractors use a double ended PTO shaft instead of 2 separate shafts like a 4020 for example. A Google search may tell you more.

(quoted from post at 13:46:54 11/01/20) There are 6 listed on MachineFinder.com, some have both speeds, one only 1000 listed...

(I'm not sure if they made a 1000-only version.)

Lacking any history or info it's easy enough to determine FOR SURE if it has a dual-speed PTO, if you can access the tractor, look for a "flat" at the inner end of the PTO with two "tabs" of a snap ring visible there.

If present, pinch the tabs together allowing the shaft to be withdrawn revealing the "540" splines at the other end, flip the shaft around end-for-end, move the snap ring to the other end and pop it back in.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/...MInamhlaji7AIVhsDACh1ZiA-dEAQYASABEgJ_DvD_BwE

What the two-speed PTO shaft looks like.

I was surprised that a utility-sized tractor would only have a 1K PTO, but then I am very unfamiliar with the newer versions.

I know the flippable PTO process, and can see it clearly in the pictures of one of the MachineFinder tractors- but failed to look closely enough when looking this tractor over- it's about two hours away from my place and I stumbled across it without knowing any detail until after I looked it over.

For this kind of money, I really need to make a second trip to get serious about it or just forget it!

Is the main transmission casting the same for the 1000rpm only machine vs the 540/1000rpm machine ? There could also be some other obscure clues .
Some research in the free online parts book may find some answers .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back