PTO pump question

mfbengel

New User
I’m fabricating a 3 point hydraulic winch (using parts and pieces from an old 3 point grader) to pull downed trees and large limbs off the wooded hills on our property, we live in a holler. I need a PTO driven hydraulic pump for the winch but would like to hard mount it on the implement and drive it with a shaft (rather than hang it on the PTO output). Can anyone recommend a 540 RPM 6 spline pump or step-up gear box suitable to this application?

I’m fabricating a 3 point hydraulic winch (using parts and pieces from an old 3 point grader) to pull downed trees and large limbs off the wooded hills on our property, we live in a holler. I need a PTO driven hydraulic pump for the winch but would like to hard mount it on the implement and drive it with a shaft (rather than hang it on the PTO output). Can anyone recommend a 540 RPM 6 spline pump or step-up gear box suitable to this application?
You can use a PTO spline extender to go through a regular prince type 540 pump with internal splines. Use pillow or flange mount bearings on the extender to mount the pump to your frame (put an arm to the pump to keep the pump body from rotating). It might take a bit of research to get the right bearing(s) to have enough shaft exposed to hook your drive shaft on to. I have seen this done for a 4-foot wood splitter pump.

You can use a PTO spline extender to go through a regular prince type 540 pump with internal splines. Use pillow or flange mount bearings on the extender to mount the pump to your frame (put an arm to the pump to keep the pump body from rotating). It might take a bit of research to get the right bearing(s) to have enough shaft exposed to hook your drive shaft on to. I have seen this done for a 4-foot wood splitter pump.
I have done this in the past. Typical Prince PTO pump, mounted the pump to the implement frame using the supplied mounts on the pump. Found a piece of 6 spline shaft that was long enough to go through the pump and attach a shaft yoke to. Cut a groove in the splines to hold the yoke, and used a couple of shaft collars to secure the shaft in the pump.

Is there a reason it has to be a fixed pump?

That's a good idea Jim - I found a 9" long, " 1-3/8 male/1-3/8 male, 6 spline shaft on ebay that has room for a pillow block.
Is there a reason it has to be a fixed pump?
I just thought it might be easier on my 70 year old back.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 13

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back