Recently installed a new pto shaft with all the bearings, seals, gaskets, bushings, and etc.. for a customer. I engaged it and it spun as it should. The customer used it to rototill a garden which was not virgin ground. It had been a garden for years. After about 10' of tilling the pto stopped operating. When replacing the shaft,(first time it came in) I simply removed the cone bolts and pulled the old broken shaft out. The shaft had been snapped off externally nearly flush to the mounting cone. There was no damage to the old shaft inside the transmission. Because rototilling relatively soft ground, I can't believe the shaft broke internally. Is there an internal overrunning clutch that may need adjusting/replacing? I haven't been able to fine a diagram of the internal workings of the transmission. thanks for any help, gregjo1948

(quoted from post at 19:32:00 05/11/20)
OOPS forget that one; I was thinking 1010 JD from answering a couple other posts, sorry.
Hello Jim,
That's OK. I realized quite quickly that's what happened. This little Massey has 3 speeds with a high/low range I believe. I don't have the machine to the shop yet to see if it just needs some linkage adjustment. I rototilled with it in some nasty tough ground earlier this spring, before the customer snapped the pto shaft off. It worked very nice. Low gear,low range, 3/4 throttle, with a 4' rototiller it chewed the ground up. I past over the ground 3 times to get it crumbled into almost a powder. The customer has a landscaping business and one of his crew broke the shaft the first time and now has made it inoperable again. I may never get the true story on how it has been misused to get these break downs. thanks for your help, gregjo1948

(reply to post at 05:38:30 05/11/20)

I have a 1020, that does tilling all the time, 4ft. My suggestion is installing a slave clutch on the customers tiller. My 1020, almost identical to 1010, does not have slip or shear system, so one has to be a bit cautious, but my little 1020 does the job in red clay, so someone working for the customer is just a bit rough on equipment. Hope that is of assistance. Keep well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back