1130 Parking paw

dhermesc

With a lot of penetrating oil and greasing the shift mechanism we got the newly purchased 1130 to go into park - only to find the park doesn't hold it from moving. Son pointed it down hill and put it in park and let off the brake, as it rolled there was nothing at first then brrrrrrr grinding noise after it picked up a little speed. Parking paw broke off? I can get a new parking paw $136 - or should I wait until we have the fuel tank removed and the access panel pulled? I don't want it sitting in pieces while we wait for shipping and it drags out over 2 week ends to get it back together.

Is there a possibility it not broke off but still in need of adjustment?

Not sure i can help diagnose that issue, but the MF tractors with that transmission, as well as the 2000 series that followed. An awful lot of them had Micro Locks installed because the park cogs were broken. I think you could have some hope of adjusting given that you hear the grinding. However there is a good chance it is broken. My experience was as a kid growing up with a couple 1100's and an 1155. The 1155 was the one that had the micro lock. I don't recall if we ever had an 1100 park broken. We rented 2000 series and later I had a 2805 and 3545 I farmed with. The 3545 was a good tractor if o ran it myself, but employees could not stop locking that cursed transmission between ranges.

If you are working with a large enough dealer that he stocks the part, you should be able to return it if you don't need it. But really for that cost it may be best to have it on hand if you want to dig into it and get the tractor right back together.

Obviously what he did only made things worse, sorry to say but that probable took more teeth off parking gear and along with the junking the pawl. The pawl replacement is a breeze to replace in comparison to replacing the gear. If you have any teeth left on the gear which u probably do and a have a good pawl, with care coast very carefully and slowly with pawl riding the broken teeth till pawl reaches good gear teeth. A careful operator will have Great success with the Park. a good park will not always engage without rocking the tractor slightly to line things up, but just turning the steering wheel will move the tractor enough to engage Park.

A micro lock ties into the hydraulic brake system and a pull knob usually mounted in the dash. You apply the foot brake and pull it to lock the line. I think it's basically a valve in the brake line. I was probably wasting time in junior high while my dad installed it;) I think a few 70 series (and newer) Case tractors had them also. Dealer or mechanic installed, never a factory option as far as i know. A quick easy fix to a parking brake solution without having to split the tractor. They do come with a warning label as the valve or a line could leak and let the tractor roll. We would use it primarily to get the tractor to stay put while hooking up an implement. But try to park on a flat area and lower any implement to hold it in place. Or block the tires.

What kills those parking brakes is throwing them in while the tractor is rolling. As mentioned you just need it to roll enough to line up those straight cogs. So I think he means you may have knocked off additional cogs when letting it roll fast and trying to engage it. Possibly/probably off the gear, not just that sprag.

You never should try to force such a parking brake in when a tractor is rolling with any speed.

Yes as long as nothing leaks or loses pressure. Again, they warn against trusting them. For example do not rely on one to hold on a hill especially where the tractor could cause injury or death to anyone if it rolled.

(quoted from post at 15:32:34 03/14/22) The park was set and then he let off the brake - absolutely no hold.
I think Lugnuts was referring to the brrrrr you commented on :?

Obviously if it was grinding you were potentially doing harm. I sure would have gotten chewed out if I'd have done that when I was a kid :roll:

However because you indicated you needed penetrating oil to get the thing working at all, and then this grinding as it picked up speed..... Makes me wonder if that parking gear is even engaging. "Maybe" you can get it more loosened up and/or adjusted to work :?:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back