12 speed transmission

rockstar21

New User
Looking for a little opinion on the trans in my tractor, as I have it posted for sale. Its got 12 forward speeds (3 ranges).
Anything you can contribute would be helpful, I think. Thanks

Hi, and welcome. It would help us to be able to help you if you told us the model of tractor that it is. Ford made several different tractor models with 12 speed transmissions. With the 3 ranges it is most likely one of the compact tractors made for Ford in Japan by Shibaura.

What kind of opinion are you looking for? Is something not working properly and you're looking for advice on trying to fix it? Or just opinions as in "The twelve speed was a piece of crap" or "I had a twelve speed once and I loved it"?

(quoted from post at 12:42:45 09/23/23) Or maybe a Sherman Combo?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Unfortunately my crystal ball is out for repairs.

This post was edited by Sean in PA on 09/23/2023 at 10:33 am.

Agree with da.bees and Ultradog
Probably a Sherman. The Shibaura tractors used 3 forward 1 reverse with 4 ranges.

This post was edited by Tom in Mo. on 09/25/2023 at 04:04 am.

Sorry to see how dumb that looked when I reread the post this morning . Old age again. Ive got a Ford NAA, and its a 1954 bought new in 1955. I guess Im trying to find if its a rare type rather than standard. Im assuming it is. And of course it does have the 12 speeds forward and three reverse.

(quoted from post at 07:41:54 09/25/23) Sorry to see how dumb that looked when I reread the post this morning . Old age again. Ive got a Ford NAA, and its a 1954 bought new in 1955. I guess Im trying to find if its a rare type rather than standard. Im assuming it is. And of course it does have the 12 speeds forward and three reverse.

It has the standard 4 speed transmission like all of the other NAA's did. It also has a Sherman combo Auxiliary transmission which changes the input speed of the main transmission, giving it under, normal, and over drive gearing. They were not stock, but could be ordered as an option and it would be delivered to the dealer with the tractor and the dealer would install it. You could also order it later, after you took delivery of the tractor and have the dealer install it or you could install it yourself. With some later models they were installed at the factory. They are not rare.

My cousin was the original owner and he was pretty proud
of that part of the setup. And I was sure he told me that it
was indeed a dealership installed option. Thanks

One other thing. Its starting to need some work done on
the clutch. Its not a rare bird to find a replacement then, is
it?

The clutch is the same as on any other NAA, whether it has an auxiliary transmission or not. The auxiliary transmission replaces the original transmission input shaft, so everything forward of that isn't changed, including the clutch, throw out bearing, etc.

It is a pre transmission.
Fits inside of the bell housing.
The splined end fits into the clutch and the back into the main transmission in place of the regular input shaft.
Having it in there would not change the scope of a regular clutch replacement.

cvphoto163818.jpg

Boys, girls?,thank you too much. I certainly didnt want to sell this to someone and find out later it cost them 2-3K to replace a clutch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back