12 V wiring ?

dnorum

Member
I have just burned up another 12V coil on my 49 8N converted to 12V 1 wire. I was told by a ford tractor mechanic to use only the in line resister and not the original style one with all the wires. When I bought the kit from external_link, the diagram showed using both resisters? I now have a tester to check volts, which I have never done before. I will now figure out how to use tester when I get my new coil.My question is what resister do I really use?I read both ways?

Confused,

Dnorum
 
Why would you take the word of a mechanic over the people that supplied the kit? Is he going to replace the unit if they fry?The OEM ballast resiastor should be used always.---lha
 
see picture of existing wiring that has burnt up 2 coils

Still trying to wire it right

Thanks,

Dnorum
a18257.jpg
 
Geiger and Iha,

Thank you for giving me a solid answer about having to use the original resister , the one with all the wires. Now I have that in my head, I feel better. I ordered a 12V coil from yesterdays and will install it next week, now should I also use the in line resister? or should I check voltage at the coil first? and maybe use it, depending on getting 3.0 Volts?

Thanks again,


Dnorum
 
do a search on the archivews here for ballast resistor, you will find eveything you wanted to now about them.
 
(quoted from post at 11:02:00 07/03/10) Geiger and Iha,

Thank you for giving me a solid answer about having to use the original resister , the one with all the wires. Now I have that in my head, I feel better. I ordered a 12V coil from yesterdays and will install it next week, now should I also use the in line resister? or should I check voltage at the coil first? and maybe use it, depending on getting 3.0 Volts?

Thanks again,


Dnorum

3 volt number is for 6v system. You should expect something in vicinity of 10 volts on your 12v system. Dump the inline ceramic res.



Dnorum[/quote]ttps://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z232/JMOR_photo/Ign/res_wiring_fix.jpg[/img]
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top