1240 planter rates

I am planting for the first time this year with a 1240 plate planter. The planter is in good shape and seems to work ok except the drop rate seems a little inconsistant. The corn I'm planting calls for a B-7 plate. I'm trying to hit a population of about 31,000. With a drive gear with 18 teeth, and a driven with 10, the book shows 28450 with a 24 cell plate. I'm actually getting close to 39,000.

There seems to be some double or triple drops. I also have a set of 16 cell B-7 plates.

Does anyone know if the 16 are more consistent than the 24's? (given the fact that I may not hit 31000, but would come fairly close??)

Are the 24's more sensitive to speed compared to the 16's?

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks
 
Tom, a 24 cell plate revolves slower than a 16 cell at the same population setting. If you are getting doubles or even triples then your plate size is off or you have extreme wear on the singulating mechanism. It's time to do some inspecting. Did you look at the seed chart for a 16 cell plate and use a 24? If so, that will explain the extra population but not the doubles or triples. Empty your seed boxes and drop in a few kernels of corn. If you get more than one seed per cell consistently you have the wrong plate for your seed. A B7 plate is a pretty good sized plate as I remember. You may have to use a smaller plate. Mike
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top