134, 172 oil line

Rob Mo

Just a question for any of you engine rebuilders. I had an oil line break (right side of the block to the oil
gauge) on my 960 with a 172 gas engine after installing a new clutch. I called around trying to find 1/8
copper tubing to make a new oil line, no luck. I really didnt feel comfortable getting a used oil line &
taking a chance with that. So, I ended up getting a compression fitting & splicing the line back together.
Fixed & no leaks.

The local engine builder that has 40+ years of experience & has seen pretty much everything has told
me that the elbow that is tapped into the block has specific female threads that only Ford used in that
era., meaning you couldnt go to your local parts store & get an 1/8 male fitting to connect it to the
elbow. If a person were to rebuild an engine & know about that fitting, wouldnt you just drill out & re-tap
it to an available fitting?

Hogwash. The threads in the block are 1/8 pipe threads The 1/8 tubing is less plentiful than 3/16 and 1/4 tubing. I have converted several from 1/8 to 3/16 tubing. The Jubilee's used 1/4 tubing. If you change the fitting on the oil pressure gauge and the one on the side of the block and buy a steel brake line from your local parts store you can go to the 3/16 line. Much cheaper and more plentiful. My NAPA store keeps these in stock.

Nope, no copper, steel. Oil lines, brake lines, fuel lines use special sizes. 1/8 is the ID of tubing, OD of SS line is 1/4. Fittings use special threads - 7/16-24 UNS. You can get a new line, pre-bent at Den Carp repops p/n NAA-18676-A. No need to become hackmaster especially not knowing the correct parts and sizes used. I wouldn't be drilling and tapping anything but it is your tractor so do what you want.

Tim Daley(MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back