1355 Oliver tractor wiring

I have a 1973 1355 Oliver I am attempting to rewire. I have the wiring diagram and am following to the best of my ability.

The questions I have are what is the key cylinder called on the wiring diagram?

What is this item see picture and how do you determine which wires connect to which terminals? The wiring shows which wires are supposed to go to it

Attachments

• A8BB8AD2-38E8-4E2E-BF85-5BA601CFC59D.jpeg
    A8BB8AD2-38E8-4E2E-BF85-5BA601CFC59D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 4DE4EFA3-3FE7-4907-802B-BFA11C49668A.jpeg
    4DE4EFA3-3FE7-4907-802B-BFA11C49668A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
I wanted to attach a wiring diagram of what I am working with. #20 shows Switch lock and #18 shows switch - starter/thermostarter.

I would assume the key cylinder is #20 the switch lock and #18 is the switch - starter/thermostarter.

Can anyone confirm my assumption?

Also if you know how the wiring goes on #18 I would deeply appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
Hello Phil, welcome to YT! Yes, 18 is the Start, Thermostart switch and 20 is the main ignition switch. What do you mean how do the wires go on 18? Just like the diagram shows. :) Sorry. but the pictures are not to cooperative on my phone. I have to work tomorrow. I will check your post tomorrow night and see if you have gotten any other help. I am an IH guy but pretty good with wiring. One thing would help if you told me what the Thermostart button does besides operate the starting aid. Is it also a button to operate the starter? I wish your finger would have not covered up the left column of the diagram key when it pointed to 18.

I have a 1973 1355 Oliver I am attempting to rewire. I have the wiring diagram and am following to the best of my ability.

The questions I have are what is the key cylinder called on the wiring diagram?

What is this item see picture and how do you determine which wires connect to which terminals? The wiring shows which wires are supposed to go to it
I am fairly certain that is a light switch on the top two photos, if the main ignition switch named as 20 is for certain a different switch.

I wanted to attach a wiring diagram of what I am working with. #20 shows Switch lock and #18 shows switch - starter/thermostarter.

I would assume the key cylinder is #20 the switch lock and #18 is the switch - starter/thermostarter.

Can anyone confirm my assumption?

Also if you know how the wiring goes on #18 I would deeply appreciate it.
Welcome to the Forums.

The printed info is important to identifying items on the diagrams correctly. It would be helpful if you can post pictures of the written info at the bottom of the page and any that might be on the following page, if it is not all on that one. On the diagram you can start at 18 and follow each wire to where it connects to something else and use the item key number to find out what it is connecting to. Then you can find the location of each part on the tractor.

Hello Phil, welcome to YT! Yes, 18 is the Start, Thermostart switch and 20 is the main ignition switch. What do you mean how do the wires go on 18? Just like the diagram shows. :) Sorry. but the pictures are not to cooperative on my phone. I have to work tomorrow. I will check your post tomorrow night and see if you have gotten any other help. I am an IH guy but pretty good with wiring. One thing would help if you told me what the Thermostart button does besides operate the starting aid. Is it also a button to operate the starter? I wish your finger would have not covered up the left column of the diagram key when it pointed to 18.
My question which wires go where on this switch (see video).

The key switch is labeled which makes it easier.

Attachments

• 72806960097__8397743A-D6D1-4FF2-B578-832C7FACCFBB.MOV
    4.4 MB
My question which wires go where on this switch (see video).

The key switch is labeled which makes it easier.
Look at the linked diagram, IH uses that switch. The box right by 2606 Tractor (Gas) I am not sure what the bottom terminal is that goes to the 2 “N1s” I think possibly road flashers.
IH diagram
If you can’t figure that out I will draw a diagram for you tonight.

I want to let everyone know I really appreciate all the help with this. I bought the tractor knowing the wiring was not perfect but I love this old School tractor.

Just to clarify there are no lights on this tractor they were removed and I don’t plan on installing them back.

I honestly don’t know what to starter/thermostarter does. This is my struggle. I don’t know if it’s necessary or not. Here is addtl photos without fingers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Welcome to the Forums.

The printed info is important to identifying items on the diagrams correctly. It would be helpful if you can post pictures of the written info at the bottom of the page and any that might be on the following page, if it is not all on that one. On the diagram you can start at 18 and follow each wire to where it connects to something else and use the item key number to find out what it is connecting to. Then you can find the location of each part on the tractor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
I also have addtl questions about the fuse block the one pictured shows 6 fuses and the one currently on the tractor has only 4. Also can anyone with knowledge explain what these locations are (the pencil tip)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
OK here goes. I probably should’ve printed out a wire diagram and marked it up and posted a picture of it. Wire “A” to the thermostart switch is powered by wire M when the ignition switch is on. Wire “A” goes to fuse 1 where your pencil points. Fused power returns to the thermostart switch through wire AN. Now here I am assuming that contacts in the thermostart switch make contact between 15/56 and T when the switch is held counterclockwise. That energizes wire “N” going to number 10 the thermostart unit. The thermostart is in the intake manifold. It has an element that gets red hot and fuel sprays on it lighting off and heating the air in the intake manifold to aid in starting the diesel engine in colder temps. When the thermostart switch is turned clockwise this energizes terminal 50 and wire “R” to energize the starter solenoid to engage the starter. The double “C’s” on the fuse holder are just crossover terminals so wire “B” can provide power to both the fuse above and below it. I have no real answer to why the diagram shows six fuses and your tractor only has four. I’m surprised rrlund or J. Schwiebert have not chimed in on this, they are the go to guys for off-green paint machines. That’s the best I can do for you.

Look at the linked diagram, IH uses that switch. The box right by 2606 Tractor (Gas) I am not sure what the bottom terminal is that goes to the 2 “N1s” I think possibly road flashers.
IH diagram
If you can’t figure that out I will draw a diagram for you tonight.
I agree that someone has put an IH light switch in it.

From the parts book for the 1355 the original key switch appears it should be a combination ignition and light switch, similar to the one in this eBay listing. (The YT store has them, but only a view of the key side.)

677503AS switch

I honestly don’t know what to starter/thermostarter does. This is my struggle. I don’t know if it’s necessary or not. Here is addtl photos without fingers
The Thermostart is a cold weather starting aid. There is large shielded "glowplug", with a wire hooked to it, in the intake manifold. It should also have a fuel line run to it from a small tank located in that general area. The tank gets filled with fuel by the return fuel to the tank being routed through it. When you turn the Thermostart switch one way (usually to the left) the "Glowplug" heats up and gets fuel from the tank on the hot coil causing a fire inside the manifold. The fire heats the air going into the engine to aid starting. After the fire burns for 15 - 30 seconds you turn the Thermostart switch to the right to engage the starter. If the engine fires and runs, the Thermostart switch can be turned back to the left inducing heat until the engine smooths out. That is a basic rundown of how it works. The full details on using it should be in your Operator's manual and servicing should be in your Service manual. You will have to look to see if it is still on the tractor or if it has been removed.

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID WITH A THERMOSTART OR GLOWPLUGS!!!

The Thermostart is a cold weather starting aid. There is large shielded "glowplug", with a wire hooked to it, in the intake manifold. It should also have a fuel line run to it from a small tank located in that general area. The tank gets filled with fuel by the return fuel to the tank being routed through it. When you turn the Thermostart switch one way (usually to the left) the "Glowplug" heats up and gets fuel from the tank on the hot coil causing a fire inside the manifold. The fire heats the air going into the engine to aid starting. After the fire burns for 15 - 30 seconds you turn the Thermostart switch to the right to engage the starter. If the engine fires and runs, the Thermostart switch can be turned back to the left inducing heat until the engine smooths out. That is a basic rundown of how it works. The full details on using it should be in your Operator's manual and servicing should be in your Service manual. You will have to look to see if it is still on the tractor or if it has been removed.

Thanks Jim, I was thinking I should have gave more description on that. It was late when I finished the connection narrative. I was hoping an Oliver guy would chime in with an answer about the 4 and 6 fuse difference.

The thermostarter is there as far as a fuel line I will definitely look.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back