1500D blowing bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtherrien-HT

New User
Hi All,
I just noticed this afternoon while using my tractor for moving firewood around...that the overflow tank is blowing bubbles in it. There is no discoloration or odd smells in the overflow tank. It is not over heating...radiator seems to be just at operation temp...can touch radiator with bare hand and even toke off the cap and the was no pressure to speak of....it had been running a couple of hours when i checked it out.
I serviced the radiator last fall with a flush for about 20mins. with a hose and put in new antifreeze.....which might have been alittle stronger than the 30% max.
Do you think i should pull the radiator and check for blockage and refill with 25-30% mix....or start looking at head gasket. The tractor starts and runs fine.
Thanks,
David
 
Try cranking tractor while cold with cap off and see if you see any bubbles. If you do you have a bad head gasket. The old cub tractor I used to have with the thermo syphon system would blow a few bubbles after warming up, especially when loading down a little. I had rigged it up with a home made overflow bottle similiar to the Yanmar system. Didn't blow them while cold.
 
I waited 2-3 hours went in the garage and started up the tractor with the cap off. There were no bubbles or any kind of turbulence.Ran it for about 5mins.
The bubbles are something i just noticed....it doesnt do it when cold. Just been watching it from others on this forum talking about bad head gaskets.
 
If you are maintaining proper level in radiator and overflow bottle I would rest easy and keep on keeping on. If anything, dilute your mixture a little more with water.
 
For peace of mind, when cold note the coolant level on the bottle and the oil level on the stick. After lots of running, if you don't see one having gone down and the other up, forget it.
 
"...can touch radiator with bare hand and even toke off the cap and the was no pressure to speak of....it had been running a couple of hours when i checked it out."

You might want to try a new radiator cap. Not critical, but there should be noticeable pressure at op. temp. The cap really only keeps you from boiling the coolant out if overheating for other reasons.
 
Winston....The level in the overflow is maintaining the proper level....on the cold mark when cold and rises alittle when fully warm. Draws it back when cools off.
Neither the coolant or oil changes after long running....i just did an oil change.
Also it has a new radiator cap...just got it here from Hoye.

I will look at it closer today....I work construction and no work here rain next two days.
I will drain the radiator and take a closer look inside to make sure it is clean then refill with 30%.
 
Well drained the radiator...removed hoses and back flushed the system. Replaced with new coolant at 30%.
Ran tractor for about three hours moving firewood....still has bubbles...but doesnt even come close to overheating. Like i said earlier you can touch and hold with bare hand any part of radiator or engine.
The old antifreeze still looked like new.
I guess i will just keep running the tractor until i notice something different.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top