1640 brake bleeding

Hi all,
After sorting through many issues with the 1640 (thanks Tx Jim!) I finally got everything sorted, however I just replaced a damaged brake line on the right hand side and while bleeding the system the oil stopped flowing just as I seemed to be getting the last of the air out and the pedal went to the floor. It appears the system ran out of available oil as now there are no air bubbles or oil coming from the bleed screw. My question is, what supplies the oil and is there a reservoir somewhere to check or does it just fill with the engine running? Everything was working fine before I replaced the damaged fitting. Had engine running for a while but still appears to be no oil available to the brake pedals
Any help is most appreciated, thanks!
 
You're welcome
JD utility tractors of that area brake valve reservoir is supplied oil by the trans pump. Did you have engine operating when attempting to bleed your tractors brake system. If so then I'll guess orifice designed to route trans oil to brake reservoir may be clogged.
 
You're welcome
JD utility tractors of that area brake valve reservoir is supplied oil by the trans pump. Did you have engine operating when attempting to bleed your tractors brake system. If so then I'll guess orifice designed to route trans oil to brake reservoir may be clogged.
Thanks Tx Jim,
How do I access the reservoir to check this?

I have ordered an operators manual so hopefully it will help with any further questions but I think most things I need to know would only be covered in a shop manual which was $450NZD so will just have to wait until I can afford that one!
 
You're welcome
It appears from viewing 1640 parts catalog that the only method for visually checking oil level in brake valve is by removing one of the welsh plugs(item 2) in the top of brake valve housing.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-04-04 084044.png
    Screenshot 2025-04-04 084044.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 48
A bit of trivia. There is a plug on the bottom of the brake cylinder that accepts a pressure switch . If you wish to run a wire to the fender flasher lights and have them illuminate as brake lights .
 
You're welcome
It appears from viewing 1640 parts catalog that the only method for visually checking oil level in brake valve is by removing one of the welsh plugs(item 2) in the top of brake valve housing.
Tx Jim, are you please able to post an exploded view of the brake valve housing and associated parts?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top