165 - Steering valve actuation link adjustment

keg99

New User
Recently bought my first Massey - a 1966 Model 165 - but it has loose steering. It appears the valve actuator is way out of adjustment.

I need to make a tapered pin adjustment (similar to the 65) for valve actuation travel. The valve actuation link ends and pins appear to all be tight.

The tapered pin has a lock nut with a slotted top to adjust it. Problem is the pin threads are seized up tight. Looks like previous owner used channel locks on it and still did not get it loose. It is soaking in penetrating oil now.

I plan to purchase a "drag link socket" which is just a large screwdriver that connects to a ratchet. I am thinking of pulling the entire link out to make it easier to work on, which means I have to remove a ball joint on the steering linkage (the rod from the steering wheel, going to the front along the left side of the tractor.) This ball joint also has a slotted screw and seems to be threaded into the linkage. I am not used to that kind of connection.

My question is . . . to remove the ball joint, do I just rotate the ball joint screw to get it out? Righty tighty/lefty loosey?

My question is . . . to remove the ball joint, do I just rotate the ball joint screw to get it out? Righty tighty/lefty loosey?[/quote]
No its a tapered stud, the slot is nice to retighten. I would adjust steering on tractor. Heat may be your friend. Many times the lock nut will need to be double nutted to remove

jack both front wheels off ground. put on jack stands. with motor off see if you can move front wheels back and forth. may need to have
steering shaft replaced due to excess wear in splines. frontend loaders make it worse to wear out. the taper pin is to make how quick
steering response is. BUY A I&T MANUAL if you don't have one yet!!

Thanks for the help and sorry for the delayed response. I'm moving and have been really tied up.

[BonaparteSouth] I got the I&T Manual. I do have a digital version, but the paperback seems to be handier. I do see some loose parts I need to still get to.

[david from mo] Yes, heat was my friend. Thanks for pointing out it is just a tapered pin. Not sure what I was thinking when I asked my silly question. I know better, but this move has me in a fog (I'm guessing!)

Basically, both of your suggestions got me through this. The steering is fixed, the adjusting pin is adjusted and I'm back in the saddle!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back