1650 Brake Shaft Seal

1970-1655

The left brake cover has had a small leak for a year or so. Yesterday I was clearing some of the ice we got. I got off to angle the blade and saw quite a bit of oil running off of the battery box back corner. When I shut the engine off it quit leaking. Level was normal and clean looking. I pulled plate around the shifter and it was dry under there so the oil is coming from the side. I have the tires set in and 18.4x34 so it will be fun getting to the brake area.

What do you use to put the seal in straight? I did that several years ago but old age is setting in. I have not found anything I might have used for that around here. Might have to move the tires out too. That will be fun.

I don't see how it would be getting onto the battery box from the brake cover. Something higher than the box seems most logical to me. Maybe a transmission filter, but hydraulic seems likely as well.

Remember the left bull pinion is pressure lubricated and transmission could be spraying past a leaking seal or also aleaking soft plug.

It would just run down the inside of the brake cover and leak out the bottom of the brake housing though wouldn't it?

I'm in the same boat. Both of my brake housing are an oily mess. I managed to get the seals out, I'm also wondering what to use to install the seal.

cvphoto117445.jpg

I just use a big flat punch and work my way around it. The dealer mechanic showed me a Coke bottle that he cut to just fit over the shaft to keep the lip from rolling back when it's going over the splines,but I never had an issue with it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back