1755 gear shifter

bv

My gear shifter will fall from the high side of the pattern to the low side with no resistance, do I have a detent problem and what does it take to fix this?

My gear shifter will fall from the high side of the pattern to the low side with no resistance, do I have a detent problem and what does it take to fix this?
You are there and I am here ,but I would look at problems with the imput shaft. Have you check transmission oil pressure? Take the transmission cover off and look in there. It has been 50 years since I looked at one.. How loose are the top shaft bearings?

You are there and I am here ,but I would look at problems with the imput shaft. Have you check transmission oil pressure? Take the transmission cover off and look in there. It has been 50 years since I looked at one.. How loose are the top shaft bearings?
I haven’t looked into it yet, that’s why I’m asking for advice on here to see what to look at, how do you check the pressure, where and how much should it be?

I haven’t looked into it yet, that’s why I’m asking for advice on here to see what to look at, how do you check the pressure, where and how much should it be?
Have you checked to see if there is oil coming out of the transmission filter if you loosen it? Have you taken off the transmission cover?

Have you checked to see if there is oil coming out of the transmission filter if you loosen it? Have you taken off the transmission cover?
No sir I haven’t, just trying to get some ideas, have a family member in the hospital so haven’t been able to look at it yet

No sir I haven’t, just trying to get some ideas, have a family member in the hospital so haven’t been able to look at it yet
Is this tractor to be used for farming? Keep the transmission when you are running the tractor You need a day to look over the tractor!

Reactions: bv
Is this tractor to be used for farming? Keep the transmission when you are running the tractor You need a day to look over the tractor!
I don’t farm but I do have a garden, I’ve always wanted one of these and now that I’m 61 I finally bought one

There is a 1/8" test port near the transmission filter, back side if memory serves me right to check the pressure. Unfortunately I cannot access my manual or I would send a Pic of location and give you the psi requirements. Once I get access I will post it.

There is a 1/8" test port near the transmission filter, back side if memory serves me right to check the pressure. Unfortunately I cannot access my manual or I would send a Pic of location and give you the psi requirements. Once I get access I will post it.
Thank you sir please send pictures if possible

Sounds to Me that if You still have all the Gears You have a Detent Problem on Your Center Shift Rod, as You Originally Suspected.
Either the 7/16" Ball (PN 70917579) is Stuck in its Bore, or the Spring (PN 72160009) is Broke.
I suggest You likely have a little of both going on.

Here is a Pic for the test plug location for the transmission lube pressure test. 8-14 lbs at full rpm. I am pretty sure you have a detent issue and not a lube issue. I suggest you get a hold of a manual as that is not so easy to do.

Attachments

• 20240227_084838.jpg
    20240227_084838.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Here is a Pic of shifter disassembly instructions from the manual. This only the opening statement of the instructions.
Hopefully you can enlarge and read it. Get a manual, or after reading this decide if you want to tackle it or take it to someone else

Attachments

• 20240227_085823.jpg
    20240227_085823.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
Here is a Pic for the test plug location for the transmission lube pressure test. 8-14 lbs at full rpm. I am pretty sure you have a detent issue and not a lube issue. I suggest you get a hold of a manual as that is not so easy to do.
I got a factory manual for it, thanks for your help, I'll be in touch.

Here is a Pic of shifter disassembly instructions from the manual. This only the opening statement of the instructions.
Hopefully you can enlarge and read it. Get a manual, or after reading this decide if you want to tackle it or take it to someone else
what is considered an auxiliary transmission?

The over/under. It's a pretty big job in all honesty. The shift rail needs to slide out towards the front is the reason why. Maybe someone on here has tried without removing the o/u and they will chime in.
If you don't have a manual, go to Massey Ferguson web site. Go to owners support, then manuals then you can get the manual downloaded to your computer. 17,18,19 & 2255 are all in one manual. There not expensive this way and it's really quick to get it. Or you can order the paper version, same site. I don't know where your at, but O'brien County Implement, Sheldon, IA still had some very knowledgeable service guys a year ago, perhaps you could talk to them.

I just re-read the entire post, and a few things/information is missing. Does it stay in gear or pop out of gear? Do you have all 6 gears? That is are you actually able to use, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th plus high and low reverse?

To further this conversation there are several scenarios that would make more sense than an oil pressure issue. One would be the high/low shift rail has a failed poppet, either ball or spring. This could be due to a worn shift rail. Second; the shifter fork on the same rail in which the bolts have come loose, thus not allowing for the fork to fully engage the shift collar. Third; the shift rail is broke.
All three (3) of the aforementioned issues is common on these. Does this tractor have a cab on it? If so, I can give you pointers on getting that out of the way as well. If the forward transmission cover is removed, you can look in the case and see figure out what the issue is. The hydraulic/rockshaft cover will also need to be removed as the shift rails extend under that cover as well.
I spoke with an old friend tonight who worked on Olivers/Whites at dealer all his life, and he believes that the high/low rail can be moved far enough forward to clear the O/U.

To further this conversation there are several scenarios that would make more sense than an oil pressure issue. One would be the high/low shift rail has a failed poppet, either ball or spring. This could be due to a worn shift rail. Second; the shifter fork on the same rail in which the bolts have come loose, thus not allowing for the fork to fully engage the shift collar. Third; the shift rail is broke.
All three (3) of the aforementioned issues is common on these. Does this tractor have a cab on it? If so, I can give you pointers on getting that out of the way as well. If the forward transmission cover is removed, you can look in the case and see figure out what the issue is. The hydraulic/rockshaft cover will also need to be removed as the shift rails extend under that cover as well.
I spoke with an old friend tonight who worked on Olivers/Whites at dealer all his life, and he believes that the high/low rail can be moved far enough forward to clear the O/U.
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet and probably be the weekend at least but I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all your input.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back