1850 Gas Flooding

Kerwin

I've had a problem develop recently with my 1850 gas. When trying to start it, it will pop and try to run when you first turn it over, but if it doesn't start then it floods out and won't start, or will start only if I have throttle lever all the way on low idle and it's cranked for a while. It's got a Zenith carb that came from previous owner. Would having the fuel pump in the system aggravate any issues with the float/needle valve not shutting off the gas supply? If it starts it runs well...it's just starting that's the hard part. I've checked the choke and spark and both seem to be open and sparking.

Are you talking about an electric pump? First thing I would do is just hook up a small auxiliary tank directly to the carb to see if it cures your issue.

Are you talking about an electric pump? First thing I would do is just hook up a small auxiliary tank directly to the carb to see if it cures your issue.
No, it has a mechanical fuel pump just like a car/truck. I would think that a mechanical pump is only going to drop in performance as it wears, not suddenly have a sudden increase in pressure?

I think the same for the pump.

But I would still hook up an auxiliary tank to the carb and see if the problem remains. I'm thinking there are float issues.

I've had a problem develop recently with my 1850 gas. When trying to start it, it will pop and try to run when you first turn it over, but if it doesn't start then it floods out and won't start, or will start only if I have throttle lever all the way on low idle and it's cranked for a while. It's got a Zenith carb that came from previous owner. Would having the fuel pump in the system aggravate any issues with the float/needle valve not shutting off the gas supply? If it starts it runs well...it's just starting that's the hard part. I've checked the choke and spark and both seem to be open and sparking.
I have one, those carbs are simple but I still couldn't rebuild it right. Took it to someone who knew about them, he rebuilt it. One thing he said was the needle that is used to adjust it was loose, he wrapped some teflon around it. I've never seen a float take up so much of the bowl, barely any room at all. Mines run fine for years now. If it has spark, it sounds like a rebuild is needed. I don't think it's the pump. Maybe it's a blocked air intake, mice get in everything.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back