188D rebuild timing question

Caleb1563

New User
Ok so I'm rebuilding the motor all the way through. I'm about to pull the crank out and I'm checking my marks so I can put it back exactly like it was usually not an issue but I'm having trouble with the marks. I'm at TDC compression stroke. The fuel pump has one mark the cam has two and a clip with points and the crank has one. Now they are all lined up except the crank it seems to be one tooth off, the tractor did run when removed just not very strong. I've attached pictures but it seems to me that the tooth with the dot on the crank gear should go into the gap with the dot on the cam gear( this is one tooth off) and the other cam gap with the dot should line up with the tooth marked on the fuel pump gear (this is happening) and the "pointers" on the cam bolts should line up with all 4 dots ( it does except for the crank gear) now is the one tooth off how timing is set or should it all line up? Thanks in advance![/img:50fd9a993e]

I've always thought the Case 188 diesel marks were silly. The cam/crank marks MUST be aligned or valves will hit pistons. The PUMP gear does not need to be
marked in the first place, just place the gear on so the PUMP internal marks are aligned with the number one piston on compression stroke at the correct
flywheel timing mark.

Your picture is not coming thru for me.
Assuming OEM gears, you should have Crank single dot to Cam two dots, Cam single dot to pointer (pointer should point to centers of shafts if installed correctly), pointer to Pump single dot.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back