1927 D Ignition Timing

Bikesmith

New User
Hi Everyone!
I'm working on getting a 1927 Deere D back up and running for the first time in 25 years. I have it running and moving under its own power, but it's not running smoothly.

At the moment I'm looking at ignition timing as a possible culprit for the rough running. The tractor doesn't have its original magneto (Splitdorf? Dixie Aero? Not totally sure what the original was), but has a Fairbanks-Morse instead. I rebuilt the magneto and got a solid spark out of it. But it doesn't have on-the-fly adjustable timing, so I'm having to adjust timing and then see what effect it had.

My main question is this: The LH cylinder idle ignition mark on the flywheel, is that where the impulse coupling should trip or where the timing should be set while running?

I've tried it both ways and neither seems correct. I suspect my issue might be that the impulse coupling on this FM magneto is retarding the timing by a different amount than the original did. So if the timing mark is where the impulse coupling is supposed to trip I might have incorrect timing while the engine is running.

Do any of you have a good-running D that you could check with a timing light? If I could just get an indication of where on the flywheel the timing should be hitting while the engine is running I could figure it out from there.

Thanks so much!
-Jon

the running or run timing should be about 30 degrees btc

the impulse should trip at or just after tdc

the old d's need a lot of ignition timing while working but idle and sound a lot better with the timing retarded to maybe 10 degrees or so btc

that is one reason why everybody wants the old splitdorf magneto. you can pull timing back untill it sounds good and then advance to work it.

Paul

Paul,
Great info! Thanks!
Sounds like it's worth looking into a magneto with variable timing. I'll see if I can track down a splitdorf.

Do you know where on the flywheel TDC is? Or what the timing is of the mark that says "LH Retard Spark"?

-Jon

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back