1938 A What to do first.

I have recently aquired a 1938 A. It sat for 13 years after my grandfather died. My uncle got it unstuck 2 years ago. I pulled it home 2 miles. I checked the oil and transmission level, emptied the antifreeze that was in it, and filled it with water. I preceded to pull start it. I runs and seems to move ok. I didn"t run it very long. I changed the oil the other day. The filter was partially disingrated, and the filter housing was full of sludge. I Drained, flushed the engine with diesel, new filter, and 11 quarts of 15w40. I am in the process of changing the rear end lube. After I get this done, what should I do next? I also changed the oil in the air cleaner. I am planning to degrease it, rebuild the carb, and drain the gas tank, but I don"t know where to go from there. Money isn"t an issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks from an A novice.

Good chance that your governor and fanshaft could use some attention. the bearings tend to be poorly lubricated, and the front fanshaft bearing is rarely serviced and greased.

I would also take the clutch all apart, remove the belt pulley and grease or replace the bearing in that assembly, and probably replace the friction disks.

The Brakes are another area that could use service. Take them apart and inspect the shoes and drums. Check the shafts for gauling and scoring. The bushings in the housings often need replacing. The brake pedal shaft is also usually worn out.

It would also be a good idea to inspect and adjust the rod bearings. These are babbited bearings and are adjusted by removing shims at the caps.

You could also check the adjustment of the mains.

Making sure your flywheel end clearance is right and that the flywheel is tight is another thing to do.

You could also check and adjust the rear Axel bearings by removing the back cover or powerlift assembly.

Finally, you could adjust the differential and transmission side play, but this will involve splitting the tractor.

I would also suggest you pick up a copy of the B service manual SM2004, a copy of the A parts book, and a set of the two cylinder service bulletins as compiled by Duane Larson.

Good luck,

Kurt

In looking over the list, I could also add:

Clean out the steering box and then adjust the end play of the steering shaft and the clearance of the sector gear. Relube box.

Remove front wheels/hubs, and service/regrease wheel bearings.

Replace all you grease zerks with new ones, and grease 'er up.

I think it would also be worth servicing the magneto. New points and condenser as a minimum, and if you really want to get into it, replace the bushings, bearings, impulse spring and have the magnet recharged.

Kurt

Hard to end a list like this.....

I would consider dropping the oil pump out the bottom so you can clean the screen. Check the gears and shaft for corrosion or gauling. While you have the pump out, scrub all the gunk out of the crankcase.

You might also want to fill the tranny with kerosene or diesel, jack up a wheel and run it a bit. Be careful.

Kurt

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back